AIB Mortgage - Break out of contract and reapply

Familyman77

i am halfway through 3 yr Fixed 2.35% rate with AIB. This 3 year rate offers me the flexibility to make over payments with no fee. im wondering if its possible to break out of this contract and simply reapply for a new 3 year fixed rate to extent this loophole for free overpayments. if i went with the 5 year fixed 2.35% rate i wouldnt have this overpayment option

Need to check with them what the breakage fee for breaking the fixed rate is, that will decide it for you probably.

i am halfway through 3 yr Fixed 2.35% rate with AIB. This 3 year rate offers me the flexibility to make over payments with no fee. im wondering if its possible to break out of this contract and simply reapply for a new 3 year fixed rate to extent this loophole for free overpayments. if i went with the 5 year fixed 2.35% rate i wouldnt have this overpayment option
We are one year into the 5 year 2.35% rate with AIB. I didnt realise that we couldn't overpay until we signed the contract. I would definitely try break out of the contract as we have recently been in the position to overpay but now can't. It's something I'm going to look into in the coming weeks.

im wondering if its possible to break out of this contract and simply reapply for a new 3 year fixed rate to extent this loophole for free overpayments.
Based on this previous thread, you should simply have to ring AIB to confirm the zero break fee and it should be straightforward to break and refix

if i went with the 5 year fixed 2.35% rate i wouldnt have this overpayment option
Why do you think you will lose this flexibility with the 5 year rate? The same logic applies. All of AIB's 1-4yr rates are equal or higher than the 5 year rate so there should be no break fee for overpayments unless there is a big change in AIB's short term rates

I didnt realise that we couldn't overpay until we signed the contract.
Likewise, you should not have any break fee based on the same methods applied above by AIB

Based on this previous thread, you should simply have to ring AIB to confirm the zero break fee and it should be straightforward to break and refix

Why do you think you will lose this flexibility with the 5 year rate? The same logic applies. All of AIB's 1-4yr rates are equal or higher than the 5 year rate so there should be no break fee for overpayments unless there is a big change in AIB's short term rates

Likewise, you should not have any break fee based on the same methods applied above by AIB
I have just gotten off the phone from AIB and have asked for a break fee letter to be issued. So I will know more in the next 10 working days. However the girl I spoke to said she thought the facility to over pay on any fixed term mortgage with AIB doesn't exist. But I suppose we could break the existing contract and sign up yo a new one and then reassess next year. Does anyone have any ideas if rates will be going up in near future? Crystal ball required I know!!

@Familyman77 @Cathbarr None of AIB's fixed rates let you overpay without triggering a break fee. It's just that, because of a quirk in how AIB calculate their break fee, the break fee is often zero. (See the posts that @_OkGo_ linked to if you want the gory details.)

Consider posting your mortgage details in the switcher thread. You'll get an estimate of your break fee and an estimate of the savings you'd make by switching (either to another AIB rate or to another lender).

Just am update. Had requested a break fee letter from AIB. Was told it would take ten working days, but when I had received no letter by day 10 I called them. They told me its now taking between 10 and 20 working days. 4 weeks is a crazy length of time to have to wait. Letter will then be valid for 5 days. Based on this if we don't have all things in order we could have to wait another month to get another breakage fee letter. Covid is being blamed.

Back