AIB - Fixed Green Rate & Lump Payments

askingformyself

Hello,

I'm aware of AIB's recent announcement that you can pay up to €5k per calendar year without incurring fees (which suggests that anything over €5K may incur fees). I don't plan to reduce my term, just reduce the balance.

My circumstances:
- 5 year 2.45% fixed Green Rate mortgage with AIB. Mortgage began 2020, will expire 2025. I understand I can overpay by (at least) €5000 in 2023, 2024 and 2025.
- I have cash sitting in the credit union where I worry that interest is eating away at it. I have other investments too.
- I have no other debt.

As per AIB's FAQ (Can I make an Overpayment on my Mortgage?):

"Any additional overpayments above €5,000, or early full redemption of your mortgage loan, may result in an early repayment charge if you are on a fixed rate".

"For fixed rate customers please be aware that an early repayment charge may occur if you pay a lump sum or wish to reduce your mortgage term."

My Questions:

1. Is there a way, other than calling AIB to confirm if an overpayment will incur a fee? I find the wording very confusing. I have called them 6 days ago to ask about overpaying by €10K, they said they could not answer on the phone and needed to send a letter. I am still waiting on the letter to arrive.
  2. Just because you CAN overpay, does it mean you SHOULD? I appreciate it's not a straight forward question. I am trying to understand what the experts on this forum take into account when answering it. I am leaning toward overpaying by more than €5k per calendar year while I can. Why? I understand interest rates will unlikely be back down at 2.45% in 2025 when the fixed rate ends. I would like to think long-term and save on interest costs once I get off the fixed rate.
Thank you.

What will you do with the cash if you don’t overpay the mortgage? E.g If it’s a choice between sitting in CU and overpay I’d say overpay. If it’s a choice between tax relieved pension contribution and overpay I’d say pension.

There are a couple of threads on this already but as your mortgage rate is lower than any rate AIB currently offer, you can pay what you want at any time during this fixed rate period.

Back