Ahern clocks up €270k expenses since retirement

In what circumstances, I wonder, would a former Taoiseach require two secretarial assistants.

They are private citizens with some residual public functions but hardly enough I would have thought, to require full-time secretarial support.

Thats besides his enormous pension(s) and the fees he receives -which are in keeping with all the other scumbag politicians,bankers and other senior "respectable" citizens who have destroyed this country.
And still Ireland continues to pay its top people - politicians, heads of state bodies etc far more than their opposite numbers in (far) bigger EU states.

So why should the German people up their taxes so that we can continue to pay our former politicians so much dosh?

I suppose on the plus side, it's 2 less people off the dole but that's the only good thing out of this. I can't help wondering how much time his assistants and how much of his phone bill was spent on organising his paid speaking arrangements.

I'm just sick after reading about this. What a disgusting person he is. It's hard to believe he was called the 'Man of the People'. I can think of a fair few choice terms which would suit him a hell of a lot better :mad:

And why are taxpayers still paying for his outrageous expenses...how long does it take to change a law like that and put an end to such waste? People losing homes and businesses left, right and centre...and Ireland.ie is paying out 270,000 euro for secretaries for the man who brought the country to the brink? Have we lost the plot entirely?

If he had been locked up for the last fiasco, he would not be making unreasonable expense claims now, Who approves them?

If he had been locked for the last fiasco, he would not be making unreasonable expense claims now, Who approves them?

Don't you know Aherne is "entitled" to them. He doesn't "abuse" the system, he's just entitled. He's never responsible for anything personally. Nobody told him the economy was in trouble, so he didn't know.How could he be expected to know if nobody tells him things? Nothing to do with me boss.

He takes his salary & expenses coz that's what it is. He didn't set out to be a leech, but the system made him a leech, and that's sombody else's problem. He takes the cash almost because he has to. It's the system don't ye know, nothinng to do with me boss.

Enough to make ya sick, but as already said it's the system they've created , bankrupt a state and still claim 100s of thousands of borrowed money coz he's entitled,

"Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
It's with O'Leary in the grave."

Some patriot Bertie is :mad:

"Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
It's with O'Leary in the grave."

Some patriot Bertie is :mad:

Yea, but Yeats was an ass as well.
Good poet, but there was nothing else good about him, nothing...so I wouldn't quote him. In many ways they are opposite ends of the social/sociological scale but they both represent what's wrong with this country.

more interesting stuff from Bertie concerning money on his struggle to find some more...

[broken link removed]

more interesting stuff from Bertie concerning money on his struggle to find some more...

[broken link removed]

Well after Man U trouncing Arsenel at the weekend perhaps his buddies might be flush enough for another dig out.

Could Aherne, Cowen and McCreevy be jailed for wilful mismanagement of the economy and their "entitlements" taken away?

Could Aherne, Cowen and McCreevy be jailed for wilful mismanagement of the economy and their "entitlements" taken away?

It would seem that white collar crime is the best way these days given the lack of convictions in the courts over mis-handling of monies in banks. Since the courts/DPP cant even get any of them in front of a judge what hope would we the normal people funding their "entitlements' have of seeing any of the political elite in front of a judge??? (tribunals excepted, but sure look how bertie acted in front of that one)

There is a well-tried and tested way of ensuring they get their just reward, but I try to be law-abiding.

Fair play to Celia for telling him to Shut UP, lets hope he takes heed and gets off the media headlines as no body is no longer interested in him or his cronies.

Priceless Cashier, thanks for posting that link.

Interesting to read the reference to the Mahon Tribunal's findings - out soon, apparently.

Bertie's posturing and abuse of the grass roots who've supported him for so long may be his Last Hurrah!

There are more than a few people involved in the giving of evidence there who seem to have left the jurisdiction.

I wonder will it all be a whitewash or will it deliver telling comments that may lead to convictions in the High Court.

Back