Agency fees for selling a house

Carnmore

Some agents are prepared to offer a fixed fee rather than commission for selling a house.

What would be a reasonable fee to suggest to an agent for selling the house? There's a possibility to sell the house off-market but it may well go on the market.

Also, is it possible to have a dual-agency - two estate agents selling the house and the selling agent only gets the fee? This is commonplace in the UK.

Would appreciate any advice / details experience.

Why don't you just ask three for a price and then go with the cheapest?

You don't seem to value the service very much so is there is any point in using one at all?

"two estate agents selling the house and the selling agent only gets the fee?"

Most will only do sole agency - for very good reason. The big row at the end about who introduced the purchaser.

I sold a house recently and went with the person who clearly was going to ( and did) give the best service - they were probably mid range but, frankly, for the few bob you might save with the cheapest, is it worth it?

Only you can answer that.

mf

Why don't you just ask three for a price and then go with the cheapest?

Because each estate agent has its own client list

You don't seem to value the service very much so is there is any point in using one at all?
"two estate agents selling the house and the selling agent only gets the fee?"

Most will only do sole agency - for very good reason. The big row at the end about who introduced the purchaser.

What? Do you enjoy giving confrontational answers to straightforward questions?

Because each estate agent has its own client list

Really? I'm trying to buy and I seem to be on every agency mailing list going, since I started my search. This is because they collect prospective buyers' details at open viewings and then market relevant properties to them.

Client databases are not as important as a presence on the key property search sites I suspect. You don't buy from the agent you like; you buy the house you want.

Ref dual agency, you could ask the question and the answer might depend on the type of property you are selling. You do see it occasionally with very high value properties, where the commission would run to tens of thousands. I guess the potential pay off makes the risk worthwhile for the agencies. I've never seen it done with a three bed semi.

Back