after screed dries - is it floors next or doors???

newname

Hi,

After the floor screed has been given time to dry out. Shoud the tiling and wooden floors go down first or is it better to hang all the doors and architrave first?

Thanks

Re: after screed drys - is it floors next or doors???

If the doors and architrave go on first, you will have to allow for the height your tiles or wooden floors are going to add to your finished floor height. That said, if you are going for solid wood floors, you'll have to let the flooring acclimatise for a week or two before you go to lay it.
If you cutting in the skirting, just tack it to the wall until you have your floors done, then stick it or nail it home.

My 0.02 is floors first. Quite apart from the height issue, there's also the shape issue. Having floors in first means even moulded architraves etc sit seamlessly on the floor, and no awkwerd trace cutting for the floor-ers.

Esp for tiles. Actually, for the kitchen, tile entire room, corner to corner, first, even before units go in. You'll get a flatter floor, and no awkward steps at the kickpieces/height adjusters.

Yeah I think i would prefer to but in the floors first, the only worry would be the heavy doors being dragged about the place and scrapping the new floors

...as distinct from the doors etc, and getting them scratched from all the lugging of timber/tiles/adhesive etc in/out...........? Floors first is less likely to damage imho........

I agree with the previous replies that floors always follow screed. Ensure your heating is on low to ensure it does not cause too many cracks on your screed for first 1-2 weeks after pouring.
The moisture content for the timber floors needs to be down to 4%. Tiles can be laid on screed floors with moisture content of 6%.
So I recommend putting tiles down next followed by the timber.

Hi,

Simliar question about order of work.

where do stairs fit in to the scheme of things.

Some people say stairs first followed by doors or floors or is it stairs last???

first off and most importantly is get your heating on,no chippy worth his salt would hang a door or put down a wooden floor til the heating is on for a few weeks first,then i would get the tiling done,then wooden floors(make sure too cover them straight away,old carpet is ideal)then get your doors hung next,then skirting and architraves.,one more thing.get the floor tiled before you install stairs,if you need a good stairs man i can highly recomend a guy,and very resonable prices,he has just finished fitting 2 stairs in my house this week.

Back