After Retirement

As for where sellers of these big houses go, Mullery says he finds most are staying in Dublin, and if they are moving outside their immediate area “it’s usually to be close to their grown-up children in south Co Dublin”.

And, on a related note, McMorrow has noticed a small trend at the top end of the Dublin market in which, spurred by Covid, young families sell up and move to Cork, Galway or Wexford – and their parents follow them.

In my attempt to get this subject back on topic I'm going to come clean here and let you all in one of my secrets.

[Roll of Drums; Loud Organ Music and a Clash of cymbals],

After 69 years of trying and throwing in the towel more often than the corner of an under-achieving boxer Leper has learnt to swim properly.

Not just proper breast-stroke, but proper back-stroke, front crawl (with bilateral breathing) and finally can do 1500 metres without stopping. I can do further, but I'm enjoying the experience so much I'm progressing further slowly but steadily. Tumble turns next and that should be interesting!

This didn't just happen overnight. I spent hours in the pool (at quiet times) learning stroke by stroke, proper breathing, good leg propulsion, sound balance and proper positioning of head, shoulders, arms, elbows, hand and stomach (yes stomach!) and of course the strict swivel and recovery.

If you are looking for something to do during retirement, just bite the bullet, swallow a lot of humble pie and take out membership in your nearest clean swimming pool. Incidentally, I lost nearly 3 stone along the way too.

In my attempt to get this subject back on topic I'm going to come clean here and let you all in one of my secrets.

[Roll of Drums; Loud Organ Music and a Clash of cymbals],

After 69 years of trying and throwing in the towel more often than the corner of an under-achieving boxer Leper has learnt to swim properly.

Not just proper breast-stroke, but proper back-stroke, front crawl (with bilateral breathing) and finally can do 1500 metres without stopping. I can do further, but I'm enjoying the experience so much I'm progressing further slowly but steadily. Tumble turns next and that should be interesting!

This didn't just happen overnight. I spent hours in the pool (at quiet times) learning stroke by stroke, proper breathing, good leg propulsion, sound balance and proper positioning of head, shoulders, arms, elbows, hand and stomach (yes stomach!) and of course the strict swivel and recovery.

If you are looking for something to do during retirement, just bite the bullet, swallow a lot of humble pie and take out membership in your nearest clean swimming pool. Incidentally, I lost nearly 3 stone along the way too.

That's a fantastic achievement and gives me hope. Thank you. At 50 years of age I can't swim but have already decided that I will learn. Can I ask - did you take lessons or teach yourself?

Brilliant ! thats fantastic. I am 67 and am exhausted after 25 m. How long did it take to get up to 1,500.? How often a week were you swimming? I'd love to follow your example. Cheers

Well done Lep, Now apart from enjoying "coffee and whatnots" on your Spanish balcony in August you can now take a dip in one of the pools in your complex or even better a short stroll to the beach. I'm starting to get jealous ;)

That's a fantastic achievement and gives me hope. Thank you. At 50 years of age I can't swim but have already decided that I will learn. Can I ask - did you take lessons or teach yourself?

From experience take lessons.....

I used to partake in long distance Triathlons / swims. After getting frustrated at constantly being overtaken and unable to get faster I took a few lessons. It was amazing the difference a few technique changes had, it transformed the experience 10 fold.

From experience take lessons.....

I used to partake in long distance Triathlons / swims. After getting frustrated at constantly being overtaken and unable to get faster I took a few lessons. It was amazing the difference a few technique changes had, it transformed the experience 10 fold.

Thanks. It appears that your good self (and I think Leper) could already swim to some extent and your achievements were to improve on that starting point. An achievement in itself; hats off. I'm a complete beginner. To be frank I have two fears. I am quite nervous in the water - a hangover from a somewhat scary incident in childhood. I would also be somewhat intimidated by the idea of joining a "beginner's group" and being a 50-something auld lad who is progressing more slowly than a bunch of little kids. Kids can be so cruel. :D

I think I'm talking myself into one-on-one lessons with someone very patient.

Thanks. It appears that your good self (and I think Leper) could already swim to some extent and your achievements were to improve on that starting point. An achievement in itself; hats off. I'm a complete beginner. To be frank I have two fears. I am quite nervous in the water - a hangover from a somewhat scary incident in childhood. I would also be somewhat intimidated by the idea of joining a "beginner's group" and being a 50-something auld lad who is progressing more slowly than a bunch of little kids. Kids can be so cruel. :D

I think I'm talking myself into one-on-one lessons with someone very patient.

That can be a fear to conquer in itself but with a competent instructor you can quickly get over it. I learnt to swim as a kid, and then didn't swim for 15 years outside of the odd dip in the pool on holidays. When I started back, I could just about swim two lengths, the next week it was four, then 6. It was amazing how quick improvements came, and somewhat therapeutic also.

The lucky thing for is during retirement you will get to pick the quiet times in the pool! All the best in your endeavour.

Nice one fella! I was handy enough when I was younger but haven't swam for years. Must put it, along with a rake of other stuff you've mentioned, on the list!

Well done Leper,

Your a model for the Lee River swim. Put your name down next year...

First let me thank you all for your encouragement and I appreciate your well wishes. I'll answer the questions raised honestly and fill in what I think you may also be asking.

Prologue:- Since my late teens I could do a respectable breaststroke but never got my hair wet (I kid you not). The only part of my head that got wet was my chin and for years I got away with this. Front crawl and backstroke were each a no-no as I got exhausted due to not being able to breathe properly or use energy efficiently. I would have taken lessons but Covid put paid to that. Mrs Lep gave me a present of swimming pool membership in a local hotel swimming pool. I'm not one to waste much and from the 1st day of validation of the membership I used the pool. After 10 minutes I became exhausted and the showers were the only place to be on my first visit.

Course of Events:- There was nobody else to blame for my bad swimming techniques. Youtube became my swim-help friend. Early on I knew that taking swimming tips from Phelps or Spitz was a waste of time. Some of the Australian professional coaches were beyond me too. Even members of the GB Olympic swimming team did nothing for me. All were too good and too fast and too complicated as I could barely do a doggy paddle before adjourning to the hotter jacuzzi and hoped nobody noticed me.

My swimwear consists of GAA shorts complete with three red stripes and O'Neills written on one leg (if it's good enough for Paul Mescil of Private Lives, it's good enough for me). The elastic had stretched to its limit but I could still tie the lace at the waist. My cloth swimming hat was only 20 years old with red sides and white forehead to neck top. At least I wasn't head to toe in Adidas lycra budgie smugglers. Even my flip flops were Penneys. Consequently, I had less to lose.

Fear of water or drowning was replaced with mortification of looking stunningly stupid. But, you have to get over this and the sight of a bright light at the end a tunnel was more welcome than the cynical stares of ten year olds who were whizzing past you like torpedoes.

Your first ten minutes of mortification are the worst. After this there is only one way to go. I started at the pool wall kicking, splashing, ducking my head under the water. Then I'd take two/three steps back and glide to the wall again getting fully immersed in the water. How I wished I could swim ten metres without stopping for breath or distressed exhaustion or bashing in to some innocent pool user who'd look at you like you were the sole cause of Covid.

I don't wish to sound like a pervert, but women are less muscular than us and by watching them on Youtube you learn the whole process is down to technique. Amateur women swimmers swim more slowly and gracefully than the male of the species and you learn more by watching their efforts than say some bronzed hairless six-pack-male god.

There is no Main Eureka moment but there are several single Eureka moments i.e. when you learn to breathe properly, kick efficiently, use arm strokes effectively, how to conserve energy, use of swivel technique and my greatest moment to glide without burn out.

No other swimmer will inform you of your bad technique or even offer advice. The whole process is up to you. I use the pool at least four sessions per week and sometimes five sessions. Even if the pool is packed I'd go in and use the 40/50 mins as productively as I could. The more stupid I looked, the more I persevered. I never used the designated swimming lane. I'd have caused a pile up there like you never saw even on the Red Cow Roundabout.

Once you can swim 40 metres breathing correctly and not getting into distressed exhaustion and in a straight line it's only a matter of a short time before you'll be swimming 1000metres. After that 1500 metres is a doddle, but swim at the pace you are most comfortable. Enjoy yourself otherwise you're swimming against the tide. Take your time; you're not trying to qualify for the Olympics.

It's a year since I started with long interruptions due to Covid, but I don't care. I enjoy my swims, have made some friends in the pool and perhaps before I go to Spain I can now buy some Adidas budgie smugglers and not look stupid.

Weight Loss:- The first stone rolled off easily and unexpectedly (wasn't a goal for me). But, I fed off the success and gave up all sweets, biscuits, reducing intake of white bread and the second stone rolled off too. The third stone loss was more difficult but it came and I ain't complaining. Mrs Lep loves to bake and still I'm her best eating fan, but no other treats including ice-cream or chocolate.

Last edited:
Well done Leper! What a fantastic achievement. I live fairly close to the sea for the past forty years and walk on the beach most days but never managed to get my ankles wet. Even getting my face wet in the shower is a problem for me so I have great admiration for those who get stuck in.
I think I'll stick to walking for now.

Even getting my face wet in the shower is a problem for me so I have great admiration for those who get stuck in.
I have been known not to stay in a hotel that has only rain showers. I look to see if they have the hand held flexible hose variety. There are many hotels that got carried away installing rain/monsoon shower heads in all their bathrooms.

The question has been asked as to how us oldies fill in our days. Thankfully I don't have a problem with that.
The plans made when you first retire change along the way as you get older.
We were probably among the lucky ones who retired gradually. Mr. Blacksheep took redundancy in his late fifties from a very stressful job with long hours. It was a bit of a shock at the time, but with kids gone and mortgage cleared we knew wee'd survive. Jobs in his area of expertise are rare, however he's a grafter and was willing to take anything to keep us ticking over. I still had my part time job. He found a job in a completely different area with a standard 8 hour day and little responsibility. Great! 2 years later he was headhunted to the job of his dreams in his own field with 4 day week and short hours well paid. That lasted a few years and phased out as it came closer to retirement age, as in 3 days, then 2 days and finally 1 day per week right up age 70. I would highly recommend this method of retirement to anyone who can get it.

At first there was plenty of DIY in both house and garden but as we get older we now only do the bare essentials and get in the local handyman as required. When you get a call from one of the family saying Hey Dad the car would't start this morning or the heating didn't come on you know immediately what that means, Either can I borrow your car or the kids need a lift to school or pop over here with your tool box.

I have always been a seamstress and made lots of clothes for myself and the kids back in the day. Nowadays I still do some bits and pieces. I've just reupholstered a couple of armchairs and made some curtains. During the first lockdown I roped in my granddaughter and we made hundreds of masks. It was a new experience for her to use a sewing machine and she turned it into a project for her TY school year.

I'm also involved with local meals on wheels and play bridge a couple of nights a week.

We like to travel, a few short breaks in Ireland, January, March and November usually and abroad (Spain) end of April into May. June and September are for France. These dates are pretty much set in stone by now so no babysitting requests will be heard at those dates.

Ah yes the baby sitting. It was clear from day one we were not going to be the regular childminders. We love our grandchildren dearly but not everyday thanks. We do of course some childminding and cover all emergencies for them. Now they have grown up but not quite old enough to be left overnight it's called grannysitting.

I can't remember ever having time to be bored and there's always the books to be read that are still on the long finger.

Back