After Retirement

Random question
People staying Spain, Portugal during months November to April: does the complex bar, restaurant tend to be closed?
My little town house is about 40 mins from Alicante in a mixed area with a lot of Spanish about. There's some villa's (quite a few) and the area has a beautiful large park/ reservation. It's a 5 min drive from the sea, two mins to several supermarkets, there's a health centre and a bus. The town is about 5 mins away. As so many people live here, the place more or less is open all year round. I would highly recommend living in a town where services are available and often in English. I plan, and I suppose most people plan, to have some Spanish (or whatever language) but in practice, it is very handy being able to do things in English. There's even a cinema with English movies, and lots of clubs to socialize. I love my postage stamp house, with a lemon tree, an orange tree and grapes, I even have an English guy who waters the plants and charges a fiver a call-out.

Last edited:
The cubby holes over the fireplace for keeping your wine warm in the winter is a classy touch all the same... :D

You’d want to have just escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane or led a very sheltered life to think that place qualifies as a ‘mansion’!

I don’t even think this does, but in any event it’s not a million miles away from what I’d like or where I’d like it:

You certainly have expensive ( and good! ) taste !
Seems very big 5 bedroom etc to manage after retired tbh

You certainly have expensive ( and good! ) taste !
Seems very big 5 bedroom etc to manage after retired tbh
Only 4 bedrooms to be fair (5 bathrooms).

But the three levels would be a problem as you get older though.

I love it though, pretty much everything I’d want and I really like the style of it.

With the signed England shirt and the circa 2008 Man United jersey there, and given that it’s quite nice with a gym and sauna, I do wonder whether the owner is just a fan or might have been a little closer to the action back then.

You’d want to have just escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane or led a very sheltered life to think that place qualifies as a ‘mansion’!

I don’t even think this does, but in any event it’s not a million miles away from what I’d like or where I’d like it:

At

Please tell me you’re kidding about that McMansion.

My father spent the last 3 years of his life in a nursing home. It cost him €1000 a week plus extras. He had a tiny room, for a man that liked his food he was always hungry. He always seemed miserable.

He had lived in a four bedroomed house.

What would the cost be, to have a carer live in your own home with you, to take care of your needs? They would have their own room etc?

Any plus or negative points to this?

My father spent the last 3 years of his life in a nursing home. It cost him €1000 a week plus extras. He had a tiny room, for a man that liked his food he was always hungry. He always seemed miserable.

He had lived in a four bedroomed house.

What would the cost be, to have a carer live in your own home with you, to take care of your needs? They would have their own room etc?

Any plus or negative points to this?

There are a number of agencies that provide such services. You can ask them for a quote.

It might be worth starting a new thread, because the topic is quite complex.

There are a number of tax reliefs, state benefits and other issues which come into play when setting up a homecare package.

If you are unwell enough to need residential care; you most likely are looking at 3 people to provide 24 hour care; plus cover for holidays, sick leave etc.

While on YouTube yesterday this little Ted talk popped up in my feed so naturally I had a look
I found it amusing as it near enough mirrored my own personal experience of retirement
The one thing he doesn't really go into is the time frame from phase one to four and probably because it's unique to each person
but for me it was a good five to six years before I felt I had really established myself in phase four

That might all be irrelevant to future generations as we're all meant to be working till we are 70+, this might just be for the 'Boomer' generation....

Back