After Dinner Speaker.. Suggest one please

Armada

Hi All,

I am organising a Charity ball in the New Year and would love your opinions on the following. ..

Should we have a "Celebrity" (ish) After Dinner Speaker?

Can someone recommend one please beaing in mind that we are working from a small budget and quite a low ticket price (€50) given the times that are in it.

Any other ideas for fun surprises/ twists for this black tie event would be welcomed.

Thanks a mil.

If I was attending I would rather see my money going to the charity than on a guest speaker.

A lot of people will do it for free. Was at one recently with David Norris and I have to say he was very entertaining. Also some ex sportmen and women can be very interesting.

A lot of people will do it for free. Was at one recently with David Norris and I have to say he was very entertaining. Also some ex sportmen and women can be very interesting.

I also was at an event which featured David Norris and I agree he was very entertaining indeed.

Demoivre, you are right of course, but sometimes we need something extra which will help us sell our tickets in the first place.

But as I said, we are very open to all suggestions at this stage. We are in a provincial town, not a city so we are constantly striving to come up with novel fundraisers.

Last edited:
Does your charity have any patrons? Usually the easiest way to get someone involved.

Does it have to be a celebrity? Is there maybe even a local well known 'character/raconteur' who would step in?

What is your charity or area? This could influence who you need. If you need motivation in sales or drive etc

For free I would suggest asking local business leaders from a multi national to give the talk. You may even end up with a donation :).

For motivation ex sports persons are good, I attended an event last year with some members of the Munster rugby team who beat the all blacks in 78 and they were very good and I belive that they didnt cost anything.

Does your charity have any patrons? Usually the easiest way to get someone involved.

I agree. A lot of charities have a celebrity associated with them, usually someone who has been affected by the issue eg Keith Duffy does a lot of work for Autism, Ronan Keating for Cancer Research. They would usually attend fund raising events without charging.

Back