Affordable Housing, South Dublin CC

JohnJay

hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has applied for Affordable Housing in SDCC. I posed my application 2 months ago, but have heard nothing since. Is this unusual?

Hi there, I also applied to SDCC. I was waiting around 10 or 12 weeks for a reply. I rang them in the interim to see what the story was. Basically, the standard waiting time is around 6 weeks but with the summer months they had been short-staffed, what with people being on holidays or whatever. Also, they had got a large volume of applications so this had contributed to the delay. Hope this helps

We didnt get called for an interview. They just sent us a letter saying that we were in "Category 2" and that they would keep our application on file. I rang and asked them what that meant. The chap said that in all schemes that there are so many units allocated to each category. There are 3 categories, we're in the middle one. If ur in the 1st category then u have a better chance of getting a place as more units are allocated to this category because its for lower income people (or probably people on their own). He also said that the units are only released when the building has finished. I asked were there any being built at the moment, he said he didnt think so.
If the units are not finished until after Xmas, then ur application is kept on file but u have to submit ur new P60 as its based on the prior tax year. I'm hoping this doesnt happen as I prob won't be eligible next year.
There is a website [broken link removed] but its a good bit out of date seen as their main news feature is the release of the Belfry which happened last February.

Yeh, but I looked on the myhome website. It says that there are only 2 apartments left in that complex for sale. So obviously they've already been released. If thats the case then surely SDCC would have already gotten their allocation and given them out to people on the list??? I wouldn't be too hopeful in anyways

I had a call today from somebody in SDCC. They have called me in for an interview on Saturday week. They have asked me to bring 3 things - a 6 month statement for my savings account. A current Credit Card Statement and a letter from my bank to say that I have cancelled my overdraft... I thought the overdraft thing was a bit strange, do they usually ask for this?

Hi JohnJay,
Just wanted to wish you good luck in the interview. Let me know how you get on?!?!

Well, I had my interview with SDCC today - interesting stuff.

All looks well, Permanent TSB hadnt yet sent out my statement, so I have to send that in when I get it - but Shes happy to put my application through for approval. She said she will be putting me in at €165k (over 25 years) but they may rise this to €185k (and put it over 30 years). The bad news is that the waiting list is currently running at about a year and a half to be offered a property. If you reject your first offer, you go to the bottom of the list and wait a further year and a half.

Something else I did not know. SDCC have 2 different types of affordable housing. The standard one (which I applied for and was interviewed for) and a second one which they call the "Affordable Housing Initiative". This is where a certain amount of properties are released at a certain time of the year, and are allocated using a lottery system. This has to be applied for on a serperate application form (I have no idea why), and applications must be in by a certain closing date. The next closing date is the 20th of this month when they have about 200 properties to sell (no doubt there will be thousands of applications) I am gonna apply for this too, but knowing my record in lotteries, I am not very hopeful!

Further details of this at [broken link removed] and I think they will also be advertising these in the Sunday Papers this weekend.

Oh, and the "Affordable Housing Initiative" properties are to be financed through nominated banks, not directly from SDCC, like the other affordable housing..

J

I dont know. however the nice lady in South Dublin County Council went through both schemes with me (affordable and shared) and affordable looks like a much better option, and I get the impression that the council would rather get you on to the affordable scheme if at all possible. However, you can apply for both schemes together, so it might be worth looking in to.

Just wondering does anyone know if the clawback applies if the value of the affordable house falls below the market value of what it was worth when you bought it i.e say you buy a house for 185k (say market value 320k) - discount of 42 percent, then in five years you want to sell it, house prices have fallen, the house sells for 250k and you have to give the council 42 percent of this which is 105k. This leaves you with 145k having bought for 185k. Any thoughts?

Just wondering does anyone know if the clawback applies if the value of the affordable house falls below the market value of what it was worth when you bought it i.e say you buy a house for 185k (say market value 320k) - discount of 42 percent, then in five years you want to sell it, house prices have fallen, the house sells for 250k and you have to give the council 42 percent of this which is 105k. This leaves you with 145k having bought for 185k. Any thoughts?

I think they calculate it slightly differently. You pay back what ever is remaining on your mortgage plus the clawback % of the original difference. Say in your example you have paid 35k off your mortgage, so you have 150 left. your clawback would then be calculated like this:

150000 + ((250000-185000) X .42) = 150000 + 27300 = 177300

i'm going to apply for this next round. their website is a little contradictory as the original FAQs mention an income limit of 40k while the ads at the weekend mention 56k. it's a bit odd in my view that 56k now qualifies you for affordable housing but i won't knock it if i get an apartment! there also is no mention on the forms that you currently must live within SDCC which seems strange.

i'm going to apply for this next round. their website is a little contradictory as the original FAQs mention an income limit of 40k while the ads at the weekend mention 56k. it's a bit odd in my view that 56k now qualifies you for affordable housing but i won't knock it if i get an apartment! there also is no mention on the forms that you currently must live within SDCC which seems strange.

the limit for Affordable Housing Initiative is 56k (which was advertised in the papers), but for the standard Affordable Housing its lower.

You dont have to live in the area where you are applying. I think Dublin City Council used to put you higher up the list if you were local, but I dont think they do that anymore. Fingal or SDCC dont care where you live.

Back