affordable housing or buy privately

cirbir

hey everyone, i recently applied for affordable housing, looking at houses and they are practically getting cheaper, should i wait or buy privately if i saved a bit more

need advice

hey everyone, i recently applied for affordable housing, looking at houses and they are practically getting cheaper, should i wait or buy privately if i saved a bit more

need advice

Hi Cirbir,

My advice would be to wait and buy privately if you can. It was a very different story a year ago. There was €100,000 in the difference between affordable housing and buying privately. Now the difference is only €20,000 in some areas. (I am speaking from experience). I was buying an affordable apartment when the developer dropped the prices by €150,000 which meant that I was paying the same as on the open market but I would have had a clawback on the property so I pulled out. Keep saving as much as you can and dont forget that when you do find a house that you would like to buy you dont have to give the asking price. Its a buyers market now and people are offering €50,000 less than the asking price and getting the property.

The way I see it is that the only advantage that I can see now to the affordable housing is that you dont need to have a big deposit. But the clawback issue is of great concern so have a good think about it.

The best of luck.

Ive decided to scrap the Affordable Housing. I was offered an affordable apartment at £180000 which i thought was great at the time,luckily i was refused a mortgage so had to pull out.

Ive now decided to go privately and have a deposit on a nicer and cheaper apartment and looks like im going to get that mortgage afterall :)

Well done on that, im going through S.O. Hoping to close the sale in the next month or two.

defo buy privately, I bought AH 2 years ago and am now sorry I did it's only a 1 bed and now would love a lil house. I really should have just held off but was afraid at the time. but now you can get great bargains buying privately.

I agree with Delphi to buy privately. I'm about to sign contract on a 3 bed property that was €325000 a year and a half ago. In January, the price came down to around €210000 and now, the developer dropped it again and he's selling for €179000 for end terrace and €10k less for mid terrace. I only have to buy my white goods and do the floor. The council is selling theirs at the price of €179995 with no fireplace, no walrope, kitchen cabinets that won't stand the test of time when you have children plus the rediculous clawback charge. I'll say you should save like mad or if you can borrow it from family and friends, why not. Also, try not to wait too long. God only knows that if things pick back up, €200k may not be enough to buy a door knob (for us living in Dublin - just my opinion).

Avoid Affordable Housing like the plague, as was said its a buyers market .

Back