Affordable Housing: has anyone succeeded in getting an Affordable House?

E

Emily Sodor

Hello,

I hope some one can help me with this subject. I have been applying for the Affordable housing scheme for about 3 years now. Anyway, I found out from the City Council about a year ago that there were houses coming up in my area, was told at the time they would be finished Oct.2004 then told March 2005 and now they are saying May 2005, anyway I've seen where they are as I only live across the road, they are built and they seem to be putting the finishing touches to them now. 2,3 and 4 bed townhouses.

Sorry for all the blabbering, what I was wondering was, has anyone succeeded in getting an Affordable House? I work, currently live and my Child goes to the creche in the area these Houses are being built. The only conclusion I have come to about not been allocated an Affordable house up till now is that I never had an affiliation sp? with areas the previous schemes have come up. Whenever, I ring the council they don't give straight forward answers. I rang them recently and asked where I was on the list and they told me they don't have a list, they allocate people the houses with a points system but she wasn't able to tell me how many points I had..it's very frustrating to say the least, I've had a minister write in to the council on my behalf as some people have said this might help...

I'm trying desperately to get my foot on property ladder and more importantly have a bit of security & Stability for myself and my son. I currently live with my parents, who are good to us but I know they would be bit relieved if we moved out.

Any advice would help!

PS: tried to buy a house the normal way, but unfortunately I wouldn't get a cardboard box for the mortgage the mortgage I was approved for and couldn't get anyone to go on the Mortgage with me. Also I'm on the housing list but was told I could be waiting 4 years. I would have no prob. renting if I could afford it.

I presume that there's nothing new in terms of information for you on the or [broken link removed] (I am assuming that by "city" you mean Dublin) websites?

Emily,

Ive been on Fingal County Council's list for 3 years and only recently (last week) got an offer in a private development. It was worth the wait thoiugh as its market price is €350K and Im getting it for €180K!

Fingal are different to Dublin City as you have a place on a waiting list so eventually you get something if you wait long enough. As far as I know Dublin city council have 2 schemes - they do either a lottery or points system. If you were on the original lottery system you need to reapply for their new points system which only started late last year. Where is the development as this will determine which system they use?

Back