Afforable Housing Scheme axed

Seonewbie

In the independent today...

By Paul Melia

Thursday June 16 2011

AFFORDABLE housing schemes will be scrapped under new plans to encourage people to rent, instead of purchase, their home.
Housing Minister Willie Penrose will today announce a major shift in housing policy.
The State will no longer help middle-income earners to buy a property by subsidising the cost.
Affordable homes were offered to first-time buyers who could not afford to purchase on the open market because prices were too high.
Affordable homes were different from social housing, where a local authority provided a house and the tenant paid rent.
Under the affordable scheme, owners had to live in the property and could earn up to €60,000 a year.
Subsidies of up to 40pc of the asking price were on offer, and in the region of 30,000 affordable homes were sold since the early 1990s.
However, the new housing policy says that "over-stimulation" of the housing market was a key factor in the economic downturn, and that people chose to buy homes "on the basis of investment".
It says that if a household has sufficient income to rent a "high quality home in a vibrant community" but lacks the money to buy an equivalent home, that household has no need of any state assistance.
"The concept of affordable housing reinforces the high value placed on owner-occupation that has been so detrimental to Ireland's society and economy," the policy says.
Controversial
The collapse in the housing market has resulted in some 800 affordable units currently lying unsold.
Affordable units were delivered under controversial legislation called Part V, where developers were legally obliged to provide up to 20pc of units in a new development for the scheme or social housing.
This will now be suspended, but the provision for social housing will remain in place.
Local authorities also provided land to developers to build units on the condition that they were sold at a reduced price. This will no longer apply.
The new policy also notes that offering tax relief on mortgage interest encouraged people to buy property because it reduced the cost of servicing the mortgage. This will be abolished by the Government.
The introduction of a property tax next year will also help moderate house prices because it will act as a disincentive to purchasing a home.
Mr Penrose last night said that renting would become a "stable and attractive housing option", and that all homes for rent would be regulated.
- Paul Melia

phil hogan this am on newstalk 16/June/2011: AH has been abolished?

Did anyone here Phil Hogan on news talk this morn??
I didnt hear it but seeminly he said that the affordable housing has been
abolished from today!! That a new bill was passed today.
Anyone know if its true??

Yes, it was announced today that the scheme is to be abolished (about time too). Does that mean they might now abolish the clawback too so that people can rent out their properties to cover the mortgage (not to make a profit just to cover the mortgage) of their tiny apts so that they can move on and buy a house. I know of at least two families in my block both with 2 kids each in tiny 2 bed affordable apts and they are stuck there.

I also hope they havent forgotten about us on the scheme who are still waiting to remortgage without triggering the clawback,its been years now waiting for the legislation! I emailed Willie Penrose this morning to remind him of us :)

All affordable housing schemes stood down

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/Housing/HousingPolicy/News/MainBody,26868,en.htm

What does this • All affordable housing schemes stood down

actually mean??

Is the affordable housing scheme being de-commissioned ??

Thanks Billy

homes available still...or not???

The Minister for Housing and Planning Mr. Willie Penrose T.D. has announced that affordable housing schemes are to be discontinued. The local authorities still have affordable homes available for sale, which are listed on this website. You can apply for an affordable home, while they are still available. In the future, affordable homes won’t be provided. An affordable home is a home that you buy at a discount to the market price, and you must live in it.

I had applied for the AH scheme with Cork CoCo..and up to very recently they said they had homes under the AH scheme that are advertised on the official AH website..the above is taken from the website. I contacted my local authority today and they said the houses werent available anymore - it totally contradicts what is said above.

I am very confused as to what is the truth and what isnt.

House puchase loan discontinued?

Does the affordable housing schemes include the availability of House purchase loans from the county councils?

Is the affordable housing scheme being de-commissioned ?

It is a statement of policy. The details of the policy haven't yet been put into operation, so it is likely that existing schemes will continue, until some more detailed instruction comes out of the Dept.

What we should demand an answer to before this whole situation turns into a farce; is why people who took up their mortgage with the Council directly are allowed to buy out their share of the clawback; and why EVERYONE else is not ??

This is discrimination which a government body should not be allowed to preside over.

Does anyone know if there is now an option to buy out of the clawback by paying the difference in purchase price and value now without having to remortgage or sell up?

balou.

if the unit is in negative equity will this technically do away with altogether the clawback.

sure im led to believe any affordable housing units bought after 2008 are now exempt from the clawback

nesta,
thats interesting , i bought from l.cc. in 2009 with my morgage directly from the council, the difference between the purchase price and currant price is 80,000 depreciation at present and dropping steadily. im not overly concerned as i bought as a family home and had no intentions of selling within the 20 year time frame( save a real necessity) . our circumstances have changed drastically since buying and i would now consider emigrating. its a total pain in the ass that we dont have the rental option as i would seriously consider this as a short term option over selling. do i still have a clawback if its dropped so much in price ? id think about renting on the quiet only everyone in our estate knows which houses are private/ affordable / social. theres a couple of '' auld biddies '' that would report you to the council at the drop of a hat if they thought a member of their family could be rehoused as a social house....
very unfair system, you would imagine the councills would appreciate guranteed payment through rental on a short term basis , as it would still remain my primary irish residence.....

Thanks for your replies.

Im not yet in negative equity (probably about €15,000 between what I paid and the value now so it is close) and bought in 2008 so would the clawback still apply to me? I'd love to just pay the council the €15,000 to end the clawback but believe I cant do so without either selling or remortgaging. Remortgaging is not an option as the value of losing a tracker mortgage outways any benefits in losing the clawback.

I know a couple of people who have written to the council with their circumstances and have been given permission to rent out the property for a year or two. Perhaps you could try that?

Social Housing in Private Blocks of a Development

Has anyone had the experience of being an owner of an apartment in a development where a local authority has used designated AH or SO units amongst privately owned units for social housing?

Hi em cat,i purchased a shared ownership apartment under the affordable housing scheme in a development where the council had designated units.. is that what you mean?

Hi manunited

Yes, for example, local authority has received, from the developer, a certain amount of units designated for purchase through the local authority AH/SO schemes, these units are specificately located within the private blocks of a development and some have been purchased, which is great, however there are also a few remaining unoccupied and we have heard a rumor that the local authority has now decided to redesignate unoccupied units for social housing, not AH/SO purchases.

is there still ahousing scheme? Cork

hi guys
is the affordable housing scheme axed from both city and council houses?
any advice would be great
thnks

Still homes in Cork listed here in case that's of any relevance?

[broken link removed]

Back