Aer Lingus teaming up with City Jet on flights to London City

Brendan Burgess

Founder
4-star service between Dublin and London City

We're delighted to announce that Aer Lingus is joining forces with CityJet to expand our presence in London and build on CityJet's long-established presence at London City Airport. The expansion will see Aer Lingus operations between Dublin and London increase to up to 50 daily flights from October 2018.

I have been documenting the punctuality of Cityjet and BA from Dublin for the last month.

I will post about it next week.

It's odd that a subsidiary of British Airways would join forces with a competitor.

If it means that a CityJet passenger whose flight is delayed by 8 hours can fly with Aer Lingus instead to Heathrow, then that would be a good thing.

Brendan

It's odd that a subsidiary of British Airways would join forces with a competitor.
But CityJet isn't a competitor anymore.
They've reduced their scheduled services to just 1 route, and their main business now is providing wet lease services to other airlines. I had assumed the only reason they've kept any routes is to keep their airline license -most lease operators don't have one.
However, part of this agreement with AerLingus looks like the 'CityJet' route is being terminated from October, and will be replaced by AerLingus (operated by CityJet).

Ah, so Dublin London is the only route left?

They are still showing flights to other cities, but I see Paris is gone.
upload_2018-8-31_12-10-2.png

Brendan

So it's just Aer Lingus and British Airways flying to London City.

That is a pity as I imagine that they won't be that competitive in terms of pricing.

But it could be useful if they allow delayed passengers avail of other flights.

Brendan

They've a few summer routes that they cover, but Dublin / LCY was the only all year route.

I loved flying to London city when I worked there, but even 10 years ago when it was AirFrance codeshare there were issues with punctuality.

What you'll find with prices is a lot of corporate customers that use the route will have a fixed price available through their travel agent. That's where the money is on that route.

Back