Aer Lingus Sale

Conan

A few months ago I booked two seats from Dublin to Malaga return for early June. Total cost circa €360. Today I looked at same flight (Aer Lingus sale) and the cost was over €500. So much for “up to 50% off”? When is a “sale” not a sale?

When is a “sale” not a sale?

In my experience, that applies to the majority of big retailers and service providers these days.

There is no requirement for any sale price for an item or service to be the lowest price ever available on that item. Some big retailers have even been known to increase prices during sale events and this is perfectly legal so long as the item was on sale at the higher price at any time over the previous 12 months. Argos for one deserve some credit for being open about previous lower prices when advertising items as reduced.

In the case of the Aer Lingus sale, all they need to do is to be able to point to a single flight/seat class that was on sale at twice the advertised sale price at any time in the last 12 months. The way airline pricing works, with prices rising as seats sell from launch, it's nigh on impossible to argue they're not being honest.

You're comparing two different things: A seat 6 months in advance vs a seat 8 months in advance.

It is usually the second week of January that the sale starts , I have booked for march , June and September 2018 in 2017 , I could have saved a few hundred euro if I waited but nobody really knows what the prices will be in the sale , If the flights are almost fully booked then the sale prices could be more expensive than if booked months in advance , If I am happy with the price at the time I will not risk losing out and purchase there and then, Nothing worse than having planned dates only to find no flights are available .

Aer Lingus have a 25% off flight sale to Europe at the moment. Last week I priced flights to Malaga for a specific date and time in October. I was told that by making this purchase now I was saving €46.....

Today I went back on to their website and the prices for the exact same flights have increased by circa €20 for each leg, but I am now being told, if I purchase these at this new price I will be saving €51....

Aer Lingus have a 25% off flight sale to Europe at the moment. Last week I priced flights to Malaga for a specific date and time in October. I was told that by making this purchase now I was saving €46.....

Today I went back on to their website and the prices for the exact same flights have increased by circa €20 for each leg, but I am now being told, if I purchase these at this new price I will be saving €51....

Comes up quite a bit , but as seats sell, the prices go up. You can often see this in action when you try to book multiple seats on the same flight. Select 1 seat and the fare is say €100, select 2-5 and it'll be €120, 6 or more and you'll pay €140 per ticket. So the seat you are now looking at was in the next price bracket up.

So when booking multiple seats, it often pays to price the flights for a single seat as well to see if you get one or more at a lower rate.

Back