Aer Lingus Rant

R

rant04

I think its an absolute disgrace Aer Lingus staff being offered 9 weeks pay in redundancy for each year of service. This guarantees a minimum payment of €40,000. I couldn't believe it. This is some generous package. My company is presently laying off a number of staff. 5 weeks pay for each year of service is being offered which I believe is generous enough. I don't see why Aer Lingus Staff redundancies payments should be getting subsidised by the rest of the tax payers coffers. Talk about throwing money away. Semi-States employees Aer Lingus/ESB continue to get good deal while the private sector are lucky to get anything and have to fend for themselves.

Dead Wood

Unfortunately this is what is required to get rid of the dead wood within the company , hopefully when the inefficiencies are dragged out of the process the company will flourish and hence the nation should be better off for the transition. A little pain for now, but 9 weeks for every year seems ridiculous but that is the price the government have offered and agreed, albeit with our money. The Airline is the life blood of the capital and the country , we cannot afford to have delays or problems with the service , full stop.

I note that the unions have already stated that the retained workforce will be under pressure for changes and workload and hence they will try to organise better pay for those staying , its just one big gravy train but hopefully pay related performance and appraisals should sort out the inadequate lackies.

Corrupt

Well said. Dead wood is right. When are Aer Lingus Staff going to realise that they can't hold the country to ransom. When are they going to realise that a job isn't for life no more. You now have to work for your money. Then when there are layoffs, Aer Lingus staff expect excessive payoffs. Its like their god given right to these execessive payoffs. I've got news - The rest of us live in the real world and are not here to subsidise you. It just goes to show corrupt Eire is alive and kicking thanks to our lovely government

Re: Dead Wood

"Unfortunately this is what is required to get rid of the dead wood within the company"

Well is this not the whole problem with voluntary redundancies? you KEEP the dead wood and loose people with prospects.

I have seen many many rationalisation plans and time after time have seen the brightest leave to better employment, start ups and early retirement, leaving the plodders to perpetuate the inefficiencies that necessitated the reengineering in the first place.

frown

Not all employees in Aer Lingus are dead wood. I only started in Aer Lingus 3 years ago. The problem is that the old school received the great benefits and perks and continue to receive them. Its hard to stay motivated in an environment where there is definitely and differentiation in work ethics from the new and old. The old school had it too good for so long

If the plan was going to achieve the removal of dead wood, it'd be worth it.

For as long as it's a voluntary scheme, however, I suspect the opposite may happen.

aer lingus payoff

On this subject, i was watching tv3 this morning and they were showing the day's papers. Between the examiner, independent and Irish times one paper said the total was €70m, another said €80m and another said €90m.

Don't know who is right but this is ireland so i guess it will eventually run over €150m and then they will have to have a tribunal to find out why it cost so much

Re: aer lingus payoff

Its interesting to note that this is a management scheme in contrast to many shcemes which are negotiated with the trade unions. Still 9 weeks not bad!

Re: aer lingus payoff

Do they still have the fairly generous early retirement scheme? I know of one guy who retired on a generous pension in his mid-forties - Nice eh?

Nice ?

Nice ? A bloody disgraceful waste of public funds more like.

Will we ever stop subsidising this white elephant ? Time to sell it off is now !

facts

Just to point out that the Aer Lingus redundancy deal is not decided by the government, nor is it subsidised by the tax-payer.

Re.Aer Lingus Rant

While the payouts/payoffs are at the usual disgraceful level I have come to expect from the unionised/public sector I would be concerned that Aer Lingus, which has swollowed vast ammounts of public money over the years, will fall into the hands of the same six or seven super rich people who seem to own everything in this country. Eircom being the best example that I can think of of how not to do things.

Re: Re.Aer Lingus Rant

Aer Lingus, which has swollowed vast ammounts of public money over the years,

Hi Purple,
Do you have evidence for this statement? If so how much taxpayers money has been swallowed over the years?
ajapale

Re: Re.Aer Lingus Rant

Do you have evidence for this statement?
No, it's just a half formed opinion that I thought I'd throw out there as fact.:D
If so how much taxpayers money has been swallowed over the years?
Not a clue. Help, anyone?

Half formed opinions

Hi Purple.
Half formed opinions abound on this BB. At least you had the honesty to admit you don't know what the hell you are yapping about. Congratulations.

Swallowed

Need help? Why don't you just make a figure up?

Aer Lingus has always been, and continues to be, a NET CONTRIBUTOR to the state exchequer. And I'm tired debunking that crap, so invent your own prejudices.

Re.Swallowed

Aer Lingus has always been, and continues to be, a NET CONTRIBUTOR to the state exchequer. And I'm tired debunking that crap, so invent your own prejudices.
I don't get what "so invent your own prejudices" means in this context but anyway...
Did the state not have to bail out the Team Aer lingus pension fund prior to it's sell off. Don't jump down my neck, I don't know so I'm asking, just asking, a question.

swallowed

PREJUDICE

From the Latin PRE (before) and JUDICE (to Judge).

In other words, to Judge Before knowing the facts.

Never a smart idea, is it.

I have a lot to say on all the above comments...but I've been up all night...flying, and my family want my company at the dinner table.

Later.

Re.swallowed

Yes Tharg, I know what prejudice means. I just wondered what you meant by making up my own, did you think I had borrowed the ones I have?
Anyway, that's off topic. The impression that I have got from listening to the media over the last few years is the Aer lingus has gone from a loss making business to a profitable business due to some very painful changes in employee levels and work practices ( stop me if I'm wrong tharg).
I think that it's employees deserve some level of praise for that. Not too much since they still don't operate at anything like the level they would have to in a small private business.
I am concerned that the main beneficiary of this change will be the group of super rich who will eventually buy it if it is sold off.
tharg, you said that Aer lingus has always been a contributer to the exchequer. I accept that as it's only share holder the government has received a dividend, as would be the case with any company, but did the government not put up the cash to buy aircraft in the past (again just a question), and if so has the return on that capital been as high as it would have been if the government had put it into a stock market investment fund for the same time period? If the answer is no then Aer Lingus has not been a net contributer to the state.
Personally I don't have a problem with them costing the state money, if that was the case, as 'till a few years ago so did every state airline in the world. I have a problem with any work practice that exists in the public sector that would be unsustainable in the private sector.

Aer Lingus

Right, Im back. Down to business.

Starting at the top:

I think its an absolute disgrace Aer Lingus staff being offered 9 weeks pay in redundancy for each year of service. This guarantees a minimum payment of €40,000. I couldn't believe it. This is some generous package.

This package was based on the precedent set by Eircom when they wanted to get rid of staff.

My company is presently laying off a number of staff. 5 weeks pay for each year of service is being offered which I believe is generous enough.

Did your company make profits of 85M last year and had it got 365M in cash on its annual report 12 months ago?
If you believe your offer of 5 weeks is generous then it probably is.I suggest you take it and forget about petty envy, it won't change your deal.

I don't see why Aer Lingus Staff redundancies payments should be getting subsidised by the rest of the tax payers coffers.

They aren't. Its not tax payers money.

Talk about throwing money away. Semi-States employees Aer Lingus/ESB continue to get good deal while the private sector are lucky to get anything and have to fend for themselves.

Boo Hoo.

9 weeks for every year seems ridiculous

Yeah, I agree...surprised Willy bought it. Just goes to show how badly he wants it. Wonder why...hmmm...

I note that the unions have already stated that the retained workforce will be under pressure for changes and workload and hence they will try to organise better pay for those staying.

As one who is staying...it doesn't affect me. It is unlikely any pilots will accept the deal anyhow, so no further workload there.

Dead wood is right.

Do you mean me? Tsk tsk.
Yes there is planty of deadwood in Aer Lingus even still. Ranks of cleaners and loaders and caterers and pen pushers who wouldn't be missed if they died at their desks tomorrow (until someone noticed the smell).

Airlines need 2 things only. Aeroplanes and Flight Crew. The rest are DEADWOOD. Good riddance.

When are Aer Lingus Staff going to realise that they can't hold the country to ransom.

Where are they holding the country to ransom? They are doing the job they've been paid to do, such as it is.

When are they going to realise that a job isn't for life no more. You now have to work for your money.

When you are working for a company making 85M a year profits, and you have no desire to move, why shouldn't a job be for life? Just because your own dreary work makes you wanna dump it and run doesn't mean everybody has to follow suit. Get a life.

Well is this not the whole problem with voluntary redundancies? you KEEP the dead wood and loose people with prospects.

We're talking manual labour here friend, not brain surgeons.

Not all employees in Aer Lingus are dead wood. I only started in Aer Lingus 3 years ago.

August 2001? Just before 911? In by the skin of your teeth. You've had an interesting career, haven't you.

The problem is that the old school received the great benefits and perks and continue to receive them.

As opposed to a wetback like you getting them. Life is soooo unfair. Just take the package and leg it mate...your share is €40K. Not bad for pissing around some office for 3 years. You'll be happer out in the Big Bad World.

If the plan was going to achieve the removal of dead wood, it'd be worth it.

For as long as it's a voluntary scheme, however, I suspect the opposite may happen.

Funny enough...you could be right!
The deal pays wetback there 40K for 3 years. Anyone with 1 years service could get the same as thats the minimum. Meanwhile those with 20 years service are to get a maximum of around 80K. How does that work then? It favours the wetbacks! Not likely to get rid of the 'deadwood' at all!

Between the examiner, independent and Irish times one paper said the total was €70m, another said €80m and another said €90m.
Don't know who is right but this is ireland so i guess it will eventually run over €150m and then they will have to have a tribunal to find out why it cost so much.

I'll see your 150M and raise you 50M. :lol

Darlin' get out your calculator and think for yourself. It'll be between 53M and 106M depending on whether its all wetbacks, or all 'deadwood', or a mix.
My guess is it will be a mix, but strongly weighted toward wetbacks. Call it 70M.
At that price it will pay for itself in 2 or 3 years in payrole savings.

Do they still have the fairly generous early retirement scheme? I know of one guy who retired on a generous pension in his mid-forties - Nice eh?

Lovely. Whats his name? Mr.Makey-uppy? : lol

Time to sell it off is now !

Yes please!!

Just to point out that the Aer Lingus redundancy deal is not decided by the government, nor is it subsidised by the tax-payer. <!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>

Good Lord...a ray of truth!! Surely not on Askaboutmoney!! I dooooon't believe it!

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I would be concerned that Aer Lingus...will fall into the hands of the same six or seven super rich people who seem to own everything
<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Correct. I've warned of it for months on here and just got scoffed at...but suddenly its gonna happen.
Doh!

employees deserve some level of praise...but they still don't operate at anything like the level they would have to in a small private business.

Errr...its NOT a SMALL PRIVATE BUSINESS. Its a LARGE PUBLIC COMPANY.

I am concerned that the main beneficiary of this change will be the group of super rich who will eventually buy it if it is sold off.

Do you smell coffee? Someone smell coffee???

I accept that as it's only share holder the government has received a dividend,<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>

Ohhh yes...

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>.... but did the government not put up the cash to buy aircraft in the past (again j
<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Nope...never. Aircraft were always purchased through profits or borrowings. Unless you mean the two or three string bags they financed back in 1947. I think they got their moneys worth.

has the return on that capital been as high as it would have been if the government had put it into a stock market investment fund for the same time period?

What a great idea!
Forget about tourism. Forget about foreign employers needs. Forget about transport. Forget about exports.
Just stick the dosh in a bank and get 2% or whatever.

Why did they bother to build LUAS? Its cost us a bloody fortune! And the Port Tunnel! Hell, I don't use either of them! Why should I subsidise them. The government should just let those buggers walk to work.

This is a company with wads of cash burning holes in its pocket. Willy wants to set it up for sale, and he's setting it up for sale the way he'd like to have it himself. The issue here is why the government is letting him spend this kind of money for no good reason except to tee it up for himself and his buddies to make a killing.

This is where the inate Irish begrudgery kicks in...the prejudice that exists against Aer Lingus is patent and manifest on this board. Just say the words 'Aer Lingus' and you can hear knees jerking from here to Ballygobackwards.

Back