Aer Lingus cancelled booking - what to do?

And they will probably win. As said earlier morals have nothing to do with the courts. The courts are only interested in the law of the land nothing else.
The people looking for their business seats are entitled to sue AL for specific performance of the contract.

The people looking for their business seats are entitled to sue AL for specific performance of the contract.

There is also the law of fundamental mistake which no doubt AL will try to rely on.

:) Indeed :)

My post wasn't aimed specifically at the OP though he/she likes to take a pop at me

No, not at all Havealaugh. Not having a pop at you. I just said what I thought and I think I did it respectfully.

I don't think they can rely on fundamental mistake as I don't believe the mistake was fundamental (the test is - 'does the mistake render the performance of the contract something that is radically different to what the parties contracted for?'). I posted about this above.

We still haven't had an email, or any other contact, from Aer Lingus. Going to ring them now and find out what the story is!

Sorry for not writing for so long since my last time!! I was too busy appearing on radio, TV and in the newspaper!!!!!!
I'm a superstar now!! LOL
When I book the flights I never expected them to be premier class seats, so I think that Aer Lingus FINALLY did the right thing. I am quite happy to fly to New York for €169 return and will do so!
I think that Anne Fitzgerald said it all when she said on Liveline that common sense should prevail on BOTH sides.

Sorry for not writing for so long since my last time!! I was too busy appearing on radio, TV and in the newspaper!!!!!!
I'm a superstar now!! LOL
When I book the flights I never expected them to be premier class seats, so I think that Aer Lingus FINALLY did the right thing. I am quite happy to fly to New York for €169 return and will do so!
I think that Anne Fitzgerald said it all when she said on Liveline that common sense should prevail on BOTH sides

Here here ! Any chance of an autograph !?:D

people need to be careful about looking a gifthorse in the mouth. If you push for a business class seat they will probably give it to you but then they might shove you into the worst seat on the plane and tell that its the business class area, much more difficult to fight the business class battle on your own, how exactly is a business class seat defined in the T&C's.

As has already been said it was strength of numbers that won the battle this time, iif it only happened to one or two customers then they would have got nowhere.

common sense should prevail on BOTH sides.

** Loud applause **

I'd actually throw a whole fiver :))) in to Aer Lingus's legal fund if they wanted to fight the creatures demanding they get business class seats - the last thing these people want is a reasonable settlement of the issue, they just want to whinge incessantly.

If it was me I would take the offer, but anyone effected has every right to fight for their legal rights....

If Aer Lingus was a business that gave refunds when the customer makes a mistake than I might agree with you , but they are not... are that cuts both ways in my option...

If it was me I would take the offer, but anyone effected has every right to fight for their legal rights....

If Aer Lingus was a business that gave refunds when the customer makes a mistake than I might agree with you , but they are not... are that cuts both ways in my option...
I agree 100% with you. It cuts both ways.

i booked a return flight from ny to dublin last year, i clicked the wrong return date. my ticket had me arriving in dublin at 5.00 am and returning that morning at 10.00am to ny. i arrived in dublin a week later to fly back to ny however because i had messed up on the online purchase of my ticket aer lingus just said tough luck. i paid 750 euro for a one way flight back to ny.

Common sense has prevailed..

FYI The flight attendant is not distributing spring rolls using tongs but hot towels

Any other questions fire away

Elitist- International Business Traveller

i booked a return flight from ny to dublin last year, i clicked the wrong return date. my ticket had me arriving in dublin at 5.00 am and returning that morning at 10.00am to ny. i arrived in dublin a week later to fly back to ny however because i had messed up on the online purchase of my ticket aer lingus just said tough luck. i paid 750 euro for a one way flight back to ny.
That's not really the same as Aer Lingus's mistake though. If you had noticed your mistake within hours of booking and asked them to change I'm sure they would have - particularly with the absurdity of departing Dublin within 5 hours of arriving. I have made mistakes on bookings before (eg names) and they have been accommodating in fixing things up.

And I agree with everyone saying sense should prevail in accepting economy seats - either you were looking for business class and should have been aware €5 was obviously a mistake OR you were looking for economy and that's what you have got.

Just to let everyone know how it panned out. We never got an email from Aer Lingus so we rang them Saturday morning. They honoured the booking and gave us economy seats on our chosen dates. They even seemed open to the idea of changing the dates as they asked if we were still OK with the chosen dates and times, and they put us on a direct flight instead of having a stopover in Shannon.

The National Consumer Agency rang SO today to see if we were satisfied with the outcome of the whole thing - gotta say we're impressed with that!

All round a happy outcome for us :)

I heard today that the reason why AL become aware of the glitch at 9am on that day was because of one customer who rang the call centre trying to change the dates of his €5 flights. The girls in the call centre alerted the relevant authorities, after tipping off their mates to purchase more seats. There is a bit of an inquiry going on in AL to find out how many insiders purchased the cheap seats.

That guy posted or was on the radio - basically booked 2 flights for €360, realised the dates were in conflict with something & called to see if he could move the dates. Was told that he would only get about €80 back. So held the flight & rescheduled what they needed to, only to get the email to say it was cancelled!

It would be really interesting to find out if the AL staff called their mates as that was one of the issues the AL-PR staff were saying Joe Public were doing.

I'm still raging I didn't nab one of the flights as I was looking at the flights the day before!! Best of luck to everyone who nabbed one!!

Back