Aer Lingus Baggage Charges

lisam

Just reminding people who have flights booked with Aer Lingus who are flying after January 17 2006 that they have to pay for each bag they check in. Its €4 per bag each way online and €8 per bag if you do it at the airport. This online facility is now up and running.

Bear in mind the OP doesn't mention that it's only for people who have booked AFTER 9th August 2006.

Bear in mind the OP doesn't mention that it's only for people who have booked AFTER 9th August 2006.

Yes a good point. I booked two flights to Alicante on August 1st for travel at the end of January. I hope that the Aer Lingus staff are aware of the "after 9th August" statement as I need another dispute with Aer Lingus like I need a hole in the head.

Can you only pay for your baggage online 30 hours before your flight or can you do it earlier? Is it better todo it when you are checking in online or does it matter? Any views?

Can you only pay for your baggage online 30 hours before your flight or can you do it earlier? Is it better todo it when you are checking in online or does it matter? Any views?

I paid for my bags about 4 hours before the flight, at the same time I was checking in online.

I paid the full €8 on the outbound journey. (I should have just gone to an internet cafe/hotspot in the airport)

Anyone know if these bagagge charges also apply to co-share flights with BA? Next week I'm flying to the US via Heathrow on BA. I'm getting to Heathrow on a BA/Air Lingus co-share?

I am flying with KLM next month and the first leg is a codeshare flight with Aer Lingus to Amsterdam; I asked the same question and I was informed by my travel agent that there would be no charges as it is effectively a KLM flight that I am on

*Codeshare passengers (AA, BA, or KLM flight number) travelling on Aer Lingus operated flights will not be subject to these baggage fees.

-above from aerlingus.com

It is ironic that Aer Lingus which claims that its USP over Ryanair is the better level of service they provide, has worse baggage limits.
Ryanair offer 10kg carry-on while Aer Lingus only offer 6kg.

In general this 6kg is derisory and must be one of the worst in the industry. At the very lest they should have upped the limit to 10kg when introducing the new charges.

Considering that most carry on bags when empty weigh 3kg's, this only leaves enough weight for a sweater or so.

Back