Advice wanted on buying a car in England

Alifan

Hi, looking at the deals on the net it looks like I will get a much better car if I go over to the uk and bring it back. Any tips on same?

Re: Advise wanted on buying a car in England

id a car
Ring the seller
If your happy with it and agree on a price then get an AA check done on it (costs about 100)
Factor in cost of VRT
Fly over
If you have a friend that you can bring that knows thier cars (e.g. mechanic) bring them and have them also check out the car.
Pay and collect car - make sure all the paperwork is there
get boat back
pay VRT

Ive done it twice, couple of friends have done it and my brother just got himself a 07 BMW for €24,000 cleared which has a book value of €35,500 - so there are def savings to be made. Also cars are usually of a higher spec & in better condition due to lower mileage and motor way miles.
any questions just ask

try auto quike. they are based outside Leeds. I got a great deal there and saved myself roughly €15,000 after paying the VRT. make sure to register it within 10 Days though i got stung with a fine on the 15th day.
also there is a company i used that give the car a full check over for £100 before you go over so it means that you are not buying a black hole and you don't waste the money on a flight over.

Mike

try auto quike. they are based outside Leeds. I got a great deal there and saved myself roughly €15,000 after paying the VRT. make sure to register it within 10 Days though i got stung with a fine on the 15th day.
also there is a company i used that give the car a full check over for £100 before you go over so it means that you are not buying a black hole and you don't waste the money on a flight over.

Mike

My brother recently purchased a car from Belfast from a crowd who will sort out your VRT and everything, and deliver to your door.
He got great service, at a great price too.

Brilliant- Keep it coming!!

Was hoping to get a bmw 3 series and it as long as we know what is what it really is looking like a way to save money and get the best car possible.

that is exactly what i bought. I still have my old BMW 323 if you are interested?
97 D with w 2.5 liter engine.

Cheers Mike. Hoping to get one around 2004/ 2005- newer if go to England. So, you got a good deal? Think that using the company to check out the car before travelling is a great idea! Have you details for them?

Cheers Mike. Hoping to get one around 2004/ 2005- newer if go to England. So, you got a good deal? Think that using the company to check out the car before travelling is a great idea! Have you details for them?

thats exactly what my bro got - a 07 bmw 320 d coupe 10,000 miles from a bmw garage, fully loaded - cost him £17,000 before clearing it - the book value of which is €35,500

I'll have a look at home tonight if i remember. they advertise on auto trader uk if my memory is right. massive deals to be had over there. try and see if yuo can get to one of the auctions in Leeds as i was told by a couple of people since that that area is the cheapest in the uk for some unknown reason. Dealers from down south come up and buy there and then sell them down in southern England. Like i said i saved about €15,000 on an 03 top end m series.

I'll have a look at home tonight if i remember. they advertise on auto trader uk if my memory is right. massive deals to be had over there. try and see if you can get to one of the auctions in Leeds as i was told by a couple of people since that that area is the cheapest in the uk for some unknown reason. Dealers from down south come up and buy there and then sell them down in southern England. Like i said i saved about €15,000 on an 03 top end m3 series. that was 2 years ago. i hear i could have saved even more now.

Do you want sites like Autotrader or dealers??

Both if possible, thanks. I was thinking of getting either a 08 Avensis or may 06/07 BMW 5 series, but the difference in price between different dealers for the 5 series is mad.

I was looking last night and there is fantastic value to be had on the new shape mondeo's aswell....also on the c and e class mercs....all diesel

Some points:
- there's lots of good info on the motors forum on boards.ie. cargiant.co.uk gets frequent mention
- this article suggests that autotrader.co.uk is by far in the way the largest site in the UK for car classifieds.
- once you've zoned in on a particular model & know how much it will cost in total, I would then pay a visit to some local irish dealers with similar cars in stock. Ignore the sticker price, just say "I'm heading to the UK next week, I can bring that car back with me for €XXX" and see what they say...

Some points:
- there's lots of good info on the motors forum on boards.ie. cargiant.co.uk gets frequent mention
- this article suggests that autotrader.co.uk is by far in the way the largest site in the UK for car classifieds.
- once you've zoned in on a particular model & know how much it will cost in total, I would then pay a visit to some local irish dealers with similar cars in stock. Ignore the sticker price, just say "I'm heading to the UK next week, I can bring that car back with me for €XXX" and see what they say...

Except for the patriotic side of things, this is a waste of time. Dealers here cant come anywhere near to matching the prices across the water.

Except for the patriotic side of things, this is a waste of time. Dealers here cant come anywhere near to matching the prices across the water.
Actually, you'd be surprised. The vast majority of dealers are selling very small amounts of cars right now due to the current economic climate. If you walk into a dealer and put cash on the table, offer what it'll cost you for a UK car incl VRT, most dealers can't afford to turn you away and will take the money. Once the cash is in front of them, they have no choice. They have to clear stock and can't do so without being reasonable.

Anyone know any good sites to look for cars in the UK (mainland and NI). been looking at autotrader but would like a better site. Also Micklavelle what is the name of that company that does that service of checking the cars, and what sort of checks do they do? And exactly what papers would I need in my hand after buying a car??? Thanks in advance

for the life of me i can not remember the name of the guys who go out ot check the car but i got them off one of the UK car websites.
the garage i bought mine was auto quirke (if my memory is right)

Both if possible, thanks. I was thinking of getting either a 08 Avensis or may 06/07 BMW 5 series, but the difference in price between different dealers for the 5 series is mad.
Sorry for double post, BUT! A 520d registered in UK after July 08 costs a mere 150 per annum here and VRT is very reasonable due to low CO2 emissions. It is likely with current exchange rates that you could get a good spec (maybe even M Sport) for under or around 30k. Not half bad in my opinion and that 150 doesn't hurt either ;)

Yes, but the money you're gonna be offering wont be reasonable at all! The dealer has to sell these cars at a major loss if he's gonna match the price! I know about 50 people who have bought in the uk in the last year. I dont know, nor have i heard of one single person who has gone into a dealer and got the result they were looking for. Not one person.

Back