Advice/thoughts re Audi v. VW

Optimistic

Hi all,
We have to get a car pretty quickly as we had a tip with our old one.
We are looking at an 02 Audi A6, 1.9 diesel, 6 speed with 174K miles, 4 alloys, NCT until ) Oct 10. Full service history provided. Costing about 3000 euros, possibly a little less.

The other option is an 02 VW Passat, 1.9 diesel, 110 brake hose power automatic with 120K miles, basic model, no alloys etc. Full service history provided. Costing 3500 euros, nothing less.

It is for family use, with 2 children, 2 years and a new born. We have not seen the VW yet, but like the boot space of the Audi and solid feel to it. A little concerned re the mileage
Are there any opinions on which is the better car, reliability, nice drive,comfort, economical, etc. We don't do high mileage. While I have driven automatics I don't know the good and the bad about them.

We need to make a decision pretty quickly as our old car is in trouble.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice.
optimistic

Maybe not much help, but personally I wouldn't consider either car purely on the mileage - especially the Audi - 174K??

174K on an Audi/VW diesel with full service history is nothing,these engines will do 3 times that mileage with regular oil changes using good quality oil.Go for the A6 a top class comfortable car that will last you for years.

i have an audi a4 and is a solid great car, huge boot and nippy...i would be aware that maintenance is expense esp if you take to an audi garage.

Hi, You want a car for family use, you say you don't do high milage but you also want something economical. I would suggest a Ford Focus , has a great boot size and much cheaper to service and buy parts for than an Audi ( great but can be expensive to maintain like a beautiful woman).

Also you should first check the car tax on the 1.9 diesel Audi

GO for an A6,, audi do have problems electrically I have had 3 and when they get above 160k the sensors start to go, easy to replace but you need to find out which one which can be a pain... I bought an audi a6 avant estate 101,000 miles €2700 I admit it was a bit of a deal and had a damaged door but it seems a bit expensive. id say if you look everywhere you will get a 02 a6 100k miles for about 4k

I had a Passat… it was s boring I could feel the life being sucked out of me every time I sat into it.
Buy the A6, or even better a newer Ford.

Hi all, thanks for all the posts. It is much appreciated. bluemac, can you direct me as to where you can recommend going for an A6 for 4K. I am tending for the A6, but can't seem to come across ones in my price range, except this one for 2700 euro.As a 1.9 diesel I am happy enough re tax at the moment. thanks again, optimistic

GO for an A6,, audi do have problems electrically I have had 3 and when they get above 160k the sensors start to go, easy to replace but you need to find out which one which can be a pain... I bought an audi a6 avant estate 101,000 miles €2700 I admit it was a bit of a deal and had a damaged door but it seems a bit expensive. id say if you look everywhere you will get a 02 a6 100k miles for about 4k

Back