Advice re PRTB and tenant who ran

LL rights did not suddenly disappear. They've gone incrementally over the last two decades, through a a few different Govts.

The main issues for LL's is the time and cost it takes to regain control of a property. The only way to minimize losses is to get it back rented as fast as possible with minimal cost.

The cost and time taken to recover a property has massively increased.

I think it is an undeclared government policy to drive small landlords from the market and hand the area over to the big REIT companies.
The small investor trying to build up a pension is going to be driven out of business

Hi all.

We finally received our order from the PRTB regarding this, ruled in our favour of course.

Can anyone talk me through the next steps, is it applying for a court order? Finding v little guidance online.

Thank you.

On principal I'm not willing to let this go - even if it takes years and I have to go to court to get it attached to her PPS, I will. Driving past my home every day giving smirky looks when she spots us, its so infuriating.

I think you're great to do this. And I'm saying that as a landlord. Delighted she is working. Otherwise I'd tell you to stop wasting your time. I hope you get an attachment order, even if it's a fiver a week. That would be very satisfying.

To the poster who told us the PRTB hard stories are incorrect on here. Right here on this thread us landlords know the reality of how toothless and useless you are.

If this lady is working her PRSI records in the Revenue and social welfare know where she works and also know where she resides.

Hi all.

We finally received our order from the PRTB regarding this, ruled in our favour of course.

Can anyone talk me through the next steps, is it applying for a court order? Finding v little guidance online.

Thank you.

Outrageous the PRTB didn't tell you the next steps. Why don't you ask them. They'll tell you to go to court, which of course was the whole point of the PRTB, the avoidance of court, and yet here you are now with your PRTB order which is worth precisely 0 to you. You're out of pocket. The PRTB can go to court for you, but they will make a financial decision not to because they will decide it's not worth pursing. Because landlords are a mark, but tenants are generally not.

It would be worth an analysis of what percentage of PRTB determination orders the PRTB went to court on for landlords versus tenants. And I bet anything they have those figures.

The case reported in the Indo is a good example, in my opinion, why is is critical for LLs to monitor rent payments and upkeep like a hawk and to move quickly to terminate a tenancy and/or file a complaint with the RTB as soon as a problem arises.

It seems a shame but that’s the system we have and there are increasing numbers of tenants that abuse it. This is not a business where it pays to be “nice”.

I wonder did the LL in this case request the RTB to seek a Court order to enforce their determination?

Hi All,

I've been advised by the PRTB the next step is the District court. We can submit the application ourselves however - the tenant has not provided a new address to us. She has provided this to the PRTB for the Determination Order to be sent out, but they will not provide it to us which I understand is for privacy reasons.

Without an address for her I cannot submit the application myself. Any advice? We're stuck! I should note she has not been in our local area for some time so any chance I have of locating her myself is gone.

Well the irony of that post, the RTB is saying to another landlord they cannot pursue the tenant as they don't know where the tenant is living, depite having access to many state agencies and told the landlord to supply an address if they want the matter to be pursued.

And now here you have a landlord twarted by the RTB refusing to a) take the court case b) give the landlord the tenant's address.

How do you know that?

Because
a) The RTB is not taking the case
b) The RTB told the landlord his only next option is to take the determination order to the District court

The when we view this case in the RTB statistics it will show

- the the order was for the landlord
- will not show that the order was pointless
- will not show the RTB refused to take a court case for the landlord
- will not show that the RTB decided against taking a case as they have decided not to waste their money and instead let the landlord do all the legwork and costs -despite the RTB being funded by the landlords, zero funded by tenants
- will not show that the RTB order, and determination order are a waste of this landlords time
- will not show the landlord can not take a case becasue of the refusal of the RTB to supply the tenant's address
- will not show that the whole point of the RTB was to take all these cases out of court and instead the RTB is used as a tool for tenant's to delay and twart landlords

The RTB is not taking the case
We haven't been told that @Bronte - you've just assumed that is the case.

The OP told us that the RTB advised that the District Court is the next step and they can make the application themselves.

Has the OP requested the RTB to pursue the case on their behalf? We don't know.

I have been provided a form I need to complete and return to them. She advised me that there are delays in the RTB taking the case on our behalf. It would certainly be much better if we could take the case ourselves but without an address its impossible.

I don't see that you have any option other than to ask the RTB to pursue the case on your behalf.

Do let us know how you get on.

How long is the delay?

I thought the whole reason that these cases had moved from the Circuit court to the District court was to reduce the delays - as Circuit court dates take longer - so not much point moving to a lower court for shorter delays if instead it means it will still take as long. At least it is cheaper.

Whether or which it doesn't detract from the fact that the whole idea of the RTB was to avoid court altogether.