Advice re personal safety while going on long country walks alone.

R

risky123

I like to go for long country walks, usually alone and I'd like to get something for personal protection mainly for people as someone was attacked in my area recently. Any advice?????

A German or a German with a big rabbit.
german_grey_rabbit.jpg

Having being mugged 4 times in 8 years while out walking alone, I'd totally advise against it. Doesn't matter how safe you think the area/location is - there are people out there who watch out for vulnerable walkers. Join a walking club, walk with a friend/neighbour - just don't do it alone unless you're an Irish army Ranger, SAS person or similar. Take care.

Walking alone can be a great pleasure - it can also be a symptom of a deeper need.

Decide why you're putting yourself at risk and address that issue.

In general its not a good idea to walk alone in remote places.

Let people know where you are going and what time you expect to get there.

Always carry a mobile

Don't wear earphones....it's a sign that you may be carrying something valuable and also removes one of your senses.

I often go for long walks in the country/down the river and i make sure i have nothing valuable with me so if i am approached i have nothing to hand over. You can carry a personal alarm which can be nought fairly cheaply.

If approached in a difficult situation i was taught to shout 'fire' instead of 'help' as apparently people are more responsive to that,......

Onq as someone who walks at least 20 miles a week I always thought I did it because I enjoyed it and it kept me fit I never thought it was a 'symptom of a deeper need'. I will be looking at every other walker I meet this evening and wonder what their 'deep need' is. Can I also say in my ** years (just say a lot) walking in urban or rural areas nobody has ever even looked at me in a 'funny way' never mind mug me - maybe I don’t look affluent enough (never carry anything expensive with me either). I can understand someone having been mugged advising against it but I wonder what is the real percentage of people mugged while walking. It is such an enjoyable pastime I'd hate to think people would have to give it up because of fear. Be safe out there but keep on enjoying your walking - even if you have a 'deeper need'.

Its not worth the risk because if unfortunately you were assaulted it could leave lasting damage.

Ah come off it! We don't live in Afghanistan. Unless you have some knowledge of particular goings on I don't think you should be afraid to go for a walk.

As when absolutely anywhere at any time, some caution is advised. Without knowing the OP's gender it's hard to know exactly what they should be particularly wary of. Cashier absolutely nailed it in the first post though - a large dog (properly trained) is a fantastic deterrent and will give you company without sacrificing your sense of calm and solitude. For thousands of years people have been using dogs for this purpose, and with good cause.

You may not be in a position to get a dog, though. As we live in a bit of a nanny-state you cannot unfortunately legally carry anything specifically for self-defence. No pepper sprays etc. You could of course get yourself a good solid walking stick/cane. Maybe a shillelagh. Again, depending on your disposition you may not feel this is something you'd be comfortable with.

There are a lot of other common sense ideas, such as letting someone know where you are going, when you'll be back and so on. But you asked about protection, and they don't really give that.

It's actually a very serious issue. I would advise a walking stick with a sharp pointed end like these Nordic walking sticks for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_walking

I would also advise you to study a map of an unknown area before you venture into it to see where traffic and people come from and how to avoid it and try to gain some local knowledge, maybe even ask the guards if there have been any reports of assaults in an isolated area. Roaming psychos I think would probably come from outside the area hoping that they would be left out of any local investigation therefore they would make use of through roads but this isnt always the case. Make sure you have a mobile signal everywhere you go. If the mobile signal is non existent then I would backtrack especially if you are female.
I would also advise to ensure visibility of potential dangers by sticking to high or open ground so you can see well in advance if there is anyone in the immediate area and avoid them without being seen yourself if they look suspicious (or send a text with their car registration number etc). I would'nt wander alone in isolated dense woods where there would be zero chance of anyone seeing an assault unless my sense were very sharp and observant. A lady was assaulted in Bushy Park recently when walking along the river bank in the evening so this does happen and personal security is a serious matter.
I would also set a time limit for my journey and inform someone in advance of where I was going with an agreement to call from your mobile and check in every hour or two. This way if you go missing someone will have a rough idea of where to look for you and will be able to respond quickly. In adventure sports this is done all the time , for example in potholing there would be a set time for entry and exit of a deep cave and if nothing is heard back within a reasonable time then a rescue team is dispatched.
Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Make sure you have a mobile signal everywhere you go. If the mobile signal is non existent then I would backtrack especially if you are female. .

This is not really necessary because even if you dont have a mobile signal you will always get through to the local Mountain Rescue Team on 112 and as far as I know the first connection when you ring this number is the local police station and if anyone is going to be able to help you the police or the MRT will be able to get to you first.

This is not really necessary because even if you dont have a mobile signal you will always get through to the local Mountain Rescue Team on 112 and as far as I know the first connection when you ring this number is the local police station and if anyone is going to be able to help you the police or the MRT will be able to get to you first.

That's not true, you need to be within the coverage of a network to make an emergency call. It doesn't neccessarily have to be your own network, but without coverage, it's impossible to make a call. If it were, why would they bother installing a network in the first place?

MRT are all volunteers, many may have to be called out from their places of work and collect equipment on the way. So unless you're walking in very remote areas with difficult access, the Gardai are always likely to get to you first. Even the recent case of the missing walker in Glencullen, it was the Gardai located him first and guided the MRT in.
Leo

It's actually a very serious issue. I would advise a walking stick with a sharp pointed end like these Nordic walking sticks for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_walking

I would also advise you to study a map of an unknown area before you venture into it to see where traffic and people come from and how to avoid it and try to gain some local knowledge, maybe even ask the guards if there have been any reports of assaults in an isolated area. Roaming psychos I think would probably come from outside the area hoping that they would be left out of any local investigation therefore they would make use of through roads but this isnt always the case. Make sure you have a mobile signal everywhere you go. If the mobile signal is non existent then I would backtrack especially if you are female.
I would also advise to ensure visibility of potential dangers by sticking to high or open ground so you can see well in advance if there is anyone in the immediate area and avoid them without being seen yourself if they look suspicious (or send a text with their car registration number etc). I would'nt wander alone in isolated dense woods where there would be zero chance of anyone seeing an assault unless my sense were very sharp and observant. A lady was assaulted in Bushy Park recently when walking along the river bank in the evening so this does happen and personal security is a serious matter.
I would also set a time limit for my journey and inform someone in advance of where I was going with an agreement to call from your mobile and check in every hour or two. This way if you go missing someone will have a rough idea of where to look for you and will be able to respond quickly. In adventure sports this is done all the time , for example in potholing there would be a set time for entry and exit of a deep cave and if nothing is heard back within a reasonable time then a rescue team is dispatched.
Hope this gives you some food for thought.

is this a joke? You make the countryside sound like something out of Mad Max

is this a joke? You make the countryside sound like something out of Mad Max

Tell that to the lady who was sexually assaulted along the banks of bushy park during an evening walk recently. You'd think it wouldn't happen and be extremely shocked by it but the reality is that a risk always exists if twisted motive seeks opportunity.
The number of headcases out there might be tiny in number but they will also seek to target the tiny number of us who break away from the safety of the herd. A common factor in murders and rapes is the isolation of the victim. I wouldn't want my teenage daughter taking a taxi alone at night or walking home alone down a lonely country laneway system when I can pick her up in my own car instead. Many people feel the same way. Ever wonder why ? The OP is an adult but the same rules apply to use common sense. The OP asked for advice. Advice was given. The OP will then make some kind of compromise between what he or she wants to do and his or her fear factor. It's easy to put down the whole thread and mock it and walk away from any consequences you personally would never suffer. It's already known that someone was attacked in the OPs area already. It is a mature response to acknowledge the risks and minimize them whenever possible.

Bushy Park (and indeed any large urban parkland including the Phoenix Park) are places of risk for people walking alone.

If you intend walking alone at night you should investigate the actual risks, not the perception of them.

I was attacked once alone in Bushy Park myself years ago, its always been known as dangerous to a loner woman.

I was also subjected to intimidation from young travellers while walking in my own estate - again alone.

I was also flashed on 2 seperate occasions, once in a local park - I was alone, and once on a country road - I was with 2 other ladies.

I would advise bringing a dog - if you dont have one, can you borrow one?
Also a walking stick as described above. However, the best defence is to not take isolated country walks alone, but to stick to busier thoroughfares, where you are visible to passing traffic and people at all times. Not as pleasant - but a lot safer. I wouldnt walk alone in any of my local parks, but I have walked the outside perimeter alone, in full view of cars and pedestrians all the time and felt a lot safer.

Back