Advice Re: Means Test - Income Allowances

B

brucekel

Hi, Hoping someone can shed some light on my sit. Had Part time emp & was paying PRSI & was also self employed but due to trading losses couldnt pay myself anymore. I was advised to apply for JSA which I did on April 1st - had means testing and inspector visit also.

I opted with part time employer not to be P45'ed in case they needed me to come in on occasional days to cover holidays etc. Since I was let go, I did work for one day. I was refused JSA in June on the basis that my means were over the weekly rate of payment for JSA which is €417 - I was over by €60 and this was solely down to having worked that one particular day, havent worked at all since unfortunately.

Am I right in assuming then, that my means without taking account into this one day of work would be €397 which is my spouses weekly income. If this is correct, would I pass the means test - I have appealed the decision. Also If I was under the means allowance - how much of the benefit rate might I qualify for - is it just the difference between our income of €397 and scheme allowance of €417.

Any advice would be appreciated, so frustrated at this delay and hoping that this information will help us to make decision regarding renegotiating the mortgage - its hard to get by on this amount a week with 5 people in house. I ring the SWO in Coolock on a weekly basis at this stage - they havent even gotten round to sending over my appeal to the SW Appeals Office.!

The fact that you worked one day for €60 would not put you over means limit. It is not as simple as your spouse's weekly income being your weekly means. There are other factors at work here. Did you get a breakdown of how the means were calculated? This will explain more. There are disregards, etc. taken into account too.

On what basis have you appealed decision? Change in circumstances or miscalculation of means?

Hi thanks - Our total weekly means was assessed at €398 - They also stated on letter that we also had weekly means from employment of €60 - the total gross that I earned for that day was €122 with disgregards etc this then came to €60.

I am assuming that our means is €398 as it states on the SWO letter, we have no savings, shares or other property either.

They also state on letter " As your total weekly Means are greater than the weekly rate of payment due for this scheme, that is €417.90 you are not entitled to any payment" I have appealed on the basis that I only worked that one particular day which brought me over the allowance, and havent worked since.

Back