Advice re: Form 12

springbaby

Hi
Looking for some advice please regarding declaration of extra income. I am a PAYE worker but have a second income that I want to ensure I declare properly. For the 2018 year I am trying to fill out a Form 12 as income to be declared is €2500 approx. I have to declare it myself as tax isn't deducted at source. I cant seem to do it online and am thinking its possible because my husband is self employed. I've never had to do this before. Can I send in a postal Form 12 at this stage or do I wait until October when my husband files. I will be taxed at top rate. Approx with USC, PRSI, Tax etc what percentage can I expect to be deducted.Can I also opt to pay Revenue direct as I don't want to affect my tax credits if possible.
Thanks for your help.

Clarkey

Frequent Poster
Hi
Looking for some advice please regarding declaration of extra income. I am a PAYE worker but have a second income that I want to ensure I declare properly. For the 2018 year I am trying to fill out a Form 12 as income to be declared is €2500 approx. I have to declare it myself as tax isn't deducted at source. I cant seem to do it online and am thinking its possible because my husband is self employed. I've never had to do this before. Can I send in a postal Form 12 at this stage or do I wait until October when my husband files. I will be taxed at top rate. Approx with USC, PRSI, Tax etc what percentage can I expect to be deducted.Can I also opt to pay Revenue direct as I don't want to affect my tax credits if possible.
Thanks for your help.
If ye are jointly assessed your income needs to be returned on your husband's Form 11.

springbaby

Thank you for reply. Im confused now after reading lots on line. I have calculated 2500 approx as my net income i.e. gross less expenses to carry out contract work. Is this what I declare?

elcato

You are a PAYE worker so as long as you have less than 5k taxable income to declare you fill in a form 12. You can do it online if you are registered for ROS. If not I'd register as it makes the filling in easier and you have till October to complete. Failing that just fill in the paper form and send it in. Revenue will send back a form 21 which will detail what the tax due is. I would put a note in also to ask them to send you the amount owed and you will forward a cheque or bank transfer as I believe the default option will be to reduce your credits for 2019.

Clarkey

Frequent Poster
You are a PAYE worker so as long as you have less than 5k taxable income to declare you fill in a form 12. You can do it online if you are registered for ROS. If not I'd register as it makes the filling in easier and you have till October to complete. Failing that just fill in the paper form and send it in. Revenue will send back a form 21 which will detail what the tax due is. I would put a note in also to ask them to send you the amount owed and you will forward a cheque or bank transfer as I believe the default option will be to reduce your credits for 2019.
Form 12 can't be filed as her husband is self employed and they are jointly assessed.