Advice please! 2nd hand commercial

S

scubadec

I currently drive a 99 Opel Astra 1.4 car, but over the next few months Im hoping to upgrade.
I drive around 220 miles a week for around €45 worth of petrol ( I know this is high). I sometimes tow trailers and a boat, and often have my car loaded with heavy dive gear (Hobby, not commercial), so im looking for some power and storage.

I was looking at maybe getting a 2nd hand commercial jeep, but iv no idea about costs like DOE s, Insurance, Tax etc.
I dont know how much ill spend yet, but it could be anything from 8-15k.
Im 27 and my insurance last year was €667 with 5 years no claims bonus.

I dont have a company, and I will have only private insurance, I know there will only be two seats, but will I be insured for one passenger?

Is it ok to get commercial tax? Which is cheaper. How is tax decided? Engine size or weight of the vehicle?

What model jeep would you recommend?
Thanks in advance!

4 wheel drives are more expensive to run. big expensive tyres. Heavier could be bad on fuel. depends what you go for.

Double cab pickup may be an option although I think only the single cab pickups count as commercial for tax open to correction. Something like the Hilux.

If you need 4 wheel drive then fair enough otherwise a diesel estate car might be a better option. flexibiltiy to carry a few friends and all the gear. Plenty of torque tp tow.

Comerciall tax is cheaper about 260 for most vans and jeep vans, insurance is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question to be honest. Try some of the websites 123.ie fbd.ie etc.

High vehicle could be a nuissance in car parks as well, shops sea side parking etc.

Saw a 2007 transit connect 40000 Km's in Naas Merlin Car auction for about 6000 lots of vans to be had cheap. Should be plenty of commercial landcruisers and the like there as well.

I know I am bit all over the place but hopefully some food for though.

Thanks Frank, I suppose my questions were all over the place!

i also know guys who drive 5 seater with private car inssurance for business use, really its a lot of c..p try your best and get the best u can get for your money

Are you suggesting that people should lie to their insurance company? I wouldn't like to be the unfortunate person who gets hit by you.

I was looking at maybe getting a 2nd hand commercial jeep, but iv no idea about costs like DOE s, Insurance, Tax etc.

DOE is 60 or 70 quid, AFAIR; My insurance (06 landcruiser, commercially insured, 29 years old) is roughly E1000; tax is E260.

I dont know how much ill spend yet, but it could be anything from 8-15k.

You'll get a very good commercial jeep for that

I know there will only be two seats, but will I be insured for one passenger?

Yes

Is it ok to get commercial tax? Yes

Which is cheaper. How is tax decided? Engine size or weight of the vehicle? Standard rate for commercial, far cheaper

What model jeep would you recommend?

The Touareg Frank posted a link to above would be a fine jeep, although I have no personal experience. On my second landcruiser, last one was '99. Great, reliable, comfortable, rugged jeep. Older one was heavier on diesel. Never tested mine but I'd be surprised to average more than 25 - 30 mpg. I also pull trailers 20% of the time.

Thanks in advance! That's not a bother.:D

at last as i am driving a lot and all kind vehicles i cant really imagine that i ll crash in the near future! unless some1 hit me!

Gosh, that's a rather misplaced confidence.

I'm presuming you aren't posting in your real name Diego by the way are you?

Nicola

Edit: given that you've also disclosed where you work, and are making slightly unusual suggestions re insurance

Thanks Baldyman!

(220 miles a week for around €45 worth of petrol)
At say €5 for a gallon of petrol, Im getting 24.4 mpg. Which is very bad for a car!

That is quite bad alright!! The situation re crew cabs being classed as non-commercial is only relating to the last few years AFAIK. I have a feeling that any crew cab that is more than 4 or 5 years old is still classed as commercial but don't take my word for it. I have friends with crew cab Mitsubishi L200 and a crew cab hilux. Both are good machines but are fairly uncomfortabe.

Is there a difference between Commercial Insurance and Personal Insurance?
If I get a SUV it would be only for personal use.
Also, Is it a 3.0l Lwb you drive? what year? How many miles? How many miles are the engines good for?

Commercial insurance seems to be higher than private insurance. There are a couple of insurance people on here who will hopefully be able to give you some advice. Maybe edit your title to include the word insurance to catch their eyes.

If you are thinking of a 4x4 for your own use then pernonal use insurance is the way to go. LWB have better stability in cornering and can carry more... than the swb. These machines, if looked after and serviced will run for 250k miles. Remember, servicing these large engines are the life of them, so be prepaired to spend 70-100 yoyo per 10k miles or so on service depending on engine and also your driving conditions, city/open road driving.
Just a thought, if you decide on a LC make sure it is a d4d easyer on the juice and if you go for the Pajero, get the 3.2, again easyer on the gogo juice.
Both machines are bomb proof imo.

Thanks JMRC Do you drive a Paj?
What do you think of them?

Back