Advice on upgrading to a BMW

A

asky1

Going to upgrade to a 2006 BMW me thinks? Drove the 318 se model and was a nice drive. Any advice? Price i should expect to pay

Re: Bmw

If you are looking at the diesel version, it might be worth looking at the UK, you can get a quote for the VRT on www.ros.ie Also they will charge VRT on any extras above the irish SE spec, but I think they devalue the extras over 4 years so you may only have to pay VRT on 25% of the cost of getting the extras fitted to an irish car. Also check the CO2 emmissions on the registration documments before you purchase as it may be higher than the revenue site attracting a higher VRT.

Done it recently my self on a 7 month old ex demo 118D SE with 5500 Miles and savel almost 10K on the new irish price. :)

Re: Advice on Uprading to a Bmw

Not too keen on importing as buddy had bad experience and plus might be hard to sell on an import later

Found these on Carzone. Anything to look out for?

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

save your money and go to the uk, You will be buying a demo 08 for the same money as these cars , I went and saved 9,500e .
[broken link removed]
this car can be cleared of vrt for less then 6500e.

Not too keen on importing as buddy had bad experience and plus might be hard to sell on an import later

I think the issue is uncertainty regarding mileage etc.. The car I purchased was owned by the BMW dealer from new and I got 2.5 years warrenty. I got my 08 with 5000 Miles for the same proce as a local BMW dealer is selling a 3 year old.

Also agree with doolittle in the post above.

theres been plenty of people on the threads with advice on importing asky1, get the car independently checked and shop around banks, xe and currency.ie for best exchange rate, look on autotrader for a model, add vrt compare to the irisg book value and let the figures argue the case.

Being an import has no impact on resale

No idea where you get this gem from! It's bad enough chopping in an Irish car, most dealers I spoke to wouldn't even give a price if it's imported, whatever I was looking at buying. That's on a high-spec. 03 Audi Avant SE. Try getting a price on a used Mondeo, Focus, Golf, Passat, Civic, Clio, Megane, Laguna..... - hundreds of which are clogging up forecourts the length of the country. There's not exactly a glut of private buyers either.

At the moment importing makes sense if you're going to hang on for a while and buy the right car in the first place. If you can benefit from the VRT exemption and sell on after a year you might, with a following wind, break even.

I'm genuinely baffled at the prices people are asking for middling used cars.

SSE

Actually, considering the fact that the imports generally have a higher spec than the 'native' cars, you'll proably sell an import quicker privately than a 'native' car.

This thing about "imports " makes me laugh, every single car in this country is an import ! We do NOT manufacture cars in Ireland. Its just a con job with the trade here, as previously stated in a previous post , they usually have a higher spec than our imports ! We tend to have a lot of blank buttons ! Absolute con job. Imports ...... what a laugh !!!!!!!!

Secman

The case for actually going to the UK and buying there is simply unanswerable. There's a stack of plusses on that side and damn little on the minus side. I did it over a year ago and every day now, in my classy import, I drive past the forecourt of my local garageman where I can see the same standard model of my car for twice the price I paid for mine last year.

The Irish motor trade don't want to trade your car anyway no matter what it is because they already have tradeins coming out their ears.
The 'day you buy is the day you sell' as the old adage says and that has always worked well for me. A goodlooking car with a good spec and in the right range will always find a buyer.
Caution and care have their place for sure but there's a pernickety overly cautious side to a small section of our race that makes them beat the negative drum relentlessly.
Things may change for the worse in the future, who knows, but right now a lot of very smart people who know a lot about quality cars are doing the import thing and more luck to them. The Irish motorist has been bled dry for yonks and this is one of the few ways he/she can redress the balance significantly.

asky1
do the math, hit cbg or carzone and then hit autotrader and calculate the difference taking vrt into account and see if you the saving is good enough incentive

let us know what your research throws up and what you decide. Its not big deal really and theres enough people on aam that have experience of doing this that can provide valuable guidance

have to agree with the import threads,

bought an 06 520d with low mileage in bmw dealer and saved a packet over prices here.my advice pay the extra bit for the bmw dealer .
had minor fault repaired here on original warranty no questions asked.

Back