Advice On 'Specific' Dog Food

InfoSeeker

Not sure if anyone will be able to help but perhaps there are a few vets who use AAM.

Our golden retriever was overweight so vet recommended that we change his dry food from Eukanuba to Specific. This was about 4 months ago and thankfully our dog is now down to a normal weight. In the last couple of weeks, he is looking for me to itch his back so he probably has what is termed a 'hot spot' on his back, there is nothing wrong with his skin in this area, i.e. it is not red nor flaky.

My query is whether we should continue with Specific as it is a very rich food based on the ingredients or perhaps mix another dry food with it as I wonder if the food is causing the itchiness as this is the only thing which has changed in his diet recently?

I will probably bring him to the vet but as there are no symptoms then I do not think there is anything significantly wrong.

My dog had very sensitive skin, scratched himself a hell of a lot. Was recommended to try the Royal canin Dermacomfort (recipe 24 as medium weight dog). Introduced it gradually, he likes the taste (in the morning he gets 1/5 packet of Natures Harvest wet food mixed in to coat the biscuits) and within a week his itching had stopped. Smells etc also improved.....although he malts a LOT, his skin and hair is fantastic, very shiny.

If you mean molts a lot i.e. shedding hair then as I mention here these things are great for removing the hair. Expensive but well worth the money.

My (dog's) groomer advised getting a pair of rubber gloves, taking him outside then rubbing hands up and down along the length of the body. Removed the smaller hairs beneath the main coat. Makes my garden look like a mini snow-storm is occurring, but the dog loves it and the kittens queue up for a turn as well! :D Cheap and efficient!

Also, i have the Dyson ANimal DC29 - and have trained the dog to let him be hoovered all over with the nozzle. Great every now and then, especially after his blow dry folowing bathtime!

Last edited:
Back