Advice on selling house, what expenses are entailed?

Homesweethome

Just want to make sure we know what's ahead of us: Our house is on the market and we have an offer in front of us.
Our estate agent will be looking for 1.5% of the sale price and the solicitor probably similar.
We are just trying to weigh up what our balance will be once this is paid, and the mortgage paid off.
Are there any other fees involved in selling a house?

Nervous about selling as we will be needing a mortgage in the future, as the plan is to but a site and build.
We will rent until that happens.
Any pitfalls to look out for? Any advice?

Thanks

1.25% is the absolute max i would pay the estate agent , i paid 1.25% earlier this year and that was on the sale of an apartment which sold for 165 k , a house is likely to be worth much more in the majority of cases so this is more reason for a better rate , id be angling for 1%

forget about paying the solicitor 1.5% , that type of arrangement is pre crash stuff , you agree on a flat price , outside dublin i would not be happy about paying more than 1500 + vat + outlay , i paid 1300 + vat + outlay on the property i sold earlier this year and i could have gotten cheaper

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply - Yes we've spoken to the estate agent and he's lowered it to closer to 1%. Will make a difference.
We must talk to the solicitor now and try to agree a flat fee.
We have potential buyers so we're hopeful of a sale.

By the sound of it your agent isn't a great negotiator if he dropped his fee that quickly! I kid (sorta). In all honesty there are loads of agents desperate for business that will do 1% on everything. If they don't have a lot of business, maybe theyre not the best agents!

We start our fees at 1.5% too and drop them to say 1% for over €900,000 properties. That's in Dublin, in the regions you will rightly pay more than 1%.
But it does pay to incentivise your agent. He only needs to earn you an extra €3000 - €5000 to more than pay back what he earns in fees.

You are better off haggling over any upfront costs. There really should be any for a start. Some will charge you €500 - €1000 upfront which is mostly a con. They're getting paid before they've done the job. What if your property doesn't sell or you are unhappy with the agent later. It should be no sale no charge with just the % fee at the end.

Most importantly, pick an agent you like and trust, who listens to you and will be proactive helping you through the sale.

Good luck though! Galway_blow_in is damn right on solicitors fees. These are not % fees anymore.€1500 is about right for a single conveyance.

By the sound of it your agent isn't a great negotiator if he dropped his fee that quickly! I kid (sorta). In all honesty there are loads of agents desperate for business that will do 1% on everything. If they don't have a lot of business, maybe theyre not the best agents!

We start our fees at 1.5% too and drop them to say 1% for over €900,000 properties. That's in Dublin, in the regions you will rightly pay more than 1%.
But it does pay to incentivise your agent. He only needs to earn you an extra €3000 - €5000 to more than pay back what he earns in fees.

You are better off haggling over any upfront costs. There really should be any for a start. Some will charge you €500 - €1000 upfront which is mostly a con. They're getting paid before they've done the job. What if your property doesn't sell or you are unhappy with the agent later. It should be no sale no charge with just the % fee at the end.

Most importantly, pick an agent you like and trust, who listens to you and will be proactive helping you through the sale.

Good luck though! Galway_blow_in is damn right on solicitors fees. These are not % fees anymore.€1500 is about right for a single conveyance.

estate agents only need to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time in the current market to sell houses , they do very little for their fee , auctioneers are big into brinksmanship and impressing their peers , they want to say they got such and such for house number 22 , looks good when drawing in new customers too

most important thing is for the vendor to be in charge of the sale , many auctioneers just want to get stuff of their books , they often are two timing as well , helping out a " preferred buyer "

so dont cede to pressure from the auctioneer to sell , know what other houses in the neighbourhood are making

Back