Advice on Price Re 2nd Hand Saab

InfoSeeker

I have only purchased one car in my life, that was a 2nd hand car back in 2000 and I think I payed well over the odds as I was a bit green:)

Anyway I was looking at purchasing a 2nd hand Saab and saw the following spec car on motornet.ie, I was wondering if people thought it was a good offer?

It does not have alloys so that would be an extra cost if I wanted to get these.

I will of course bring it to a mechanic that I know before purchasing and will offer 15k instead of the listed 16k as everyone is open to negotiation:)

Spec:

Make: Saab
Model: 9-3 1.8i Linear
Engine: 1.8 Petrol
Bodytype: Saloon
Transmission: Manual
Price: €16,000
Year: 2004
Colour: Blue
Mileage: 38,000 miles / 61,155 kilometers
Owners: 1
Doors: 4

Summary: Mint condition. €16,000 ono
Comments:
Metallic Paint, Electric Windows, Central Locking, Remote Central Locking, Alarm, Driver's Air Bag, Passenger Air Bag, Multiple Air Bags, Air Conditioning, Radio Cassette, CD Player, Rear Head Rests

Revenue VRT calculator says the following...I assumed Dec 2004 btw.

STATISTICAL CODE: 40788686 MAKE: SAAB MODEL: 9-3. 1.8 VERSION: I LINEAR 04DR / SALOON / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY / MILEAGE: 38000 MILES The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below. DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): DECEMBER 2004 OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
(applicable on enquiry date) €18362 RATE OF TAX: 25.0% VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
(payable on enquiry date)
€4590

Dont do it. they are rebadged opels, and not even as good as a vectra and thats bad, stay well away from any SAAB.

Toyota

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=675337

Ford

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=633662

VW

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=632154

Honda

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=691422

Out of this lot I would pick the honda, 145 bhp , insurance friendly and it will last forever.

Dont do it. they are rebadged opels, and not even as good as a vectra and thats bad, stay well away from any SAAB.

Not true. Same 'ol argument. Yes Audi is rebadged VW, VW is rebadged Seat, Seat is rebadged Skoda, etc etc. We all know that but there is difference. A car is not only an engine, there's other parts to it and there's a general quality called "refinement" which could vary greately across these allegedly "rebadged" versions.

NG Saab 93 is very fine car, with great interior and very good turbo engines and fantastic safety record. More expensive to run and maintain than Japanese rivals, but in my humble opinions worth it.

It all boils down to your priorities. If you want something safe and refied go for the Saab. If you want something cheap and reliable (but not as safe or refined) go for the japs. It's a trade off like everything else in life, I suppose!

He's not looking at a turbo engine SAAB though. He's looking at a 122bhp entry level slow barge. OP do yourself a favour and look at a honda accord 1.8 and then test the SAAB. Huge difference in refinement in favour of the honda.

Don't mind 5 times - Have driven both and loved the SAAB - Currently have an 05 320ci and prefered my saab

The non turbo 1.8 9-3 is a nice cruiser, is a long long way better than a Vectra, but hasn't great acceleration. A pal of mine has one and likes it.

Saab owners are a strange bunch :) They have tremendous brand loyalty. Have driven a 93 and the turbo version. Turbo was nice...it's a nice car. Boggo linear is a nice cruiser as RS2K mentioned.

Over priced and difficult to shift afterwards unless trading in to Saab garage.

InfoSeeker - why a Saab? Just wondering...

Don't mind 5 times - Have driven both and loved the SAAB - Currently have an 05 320ci and prefered my saab

Actually, as an Accord owner it's the best car ever, never a days trouble with it, fast, reliable, safe. The SAAB wouldn't come close to it and actually I wouldn't even bother with a 320ci. Give me my 04 Accord anyday!!.
Do you not think that particular model you like is a bit dated looking aswell??.
It's your money and your car but think hard before you part with €16k for one of them!.

Back