Advice on permanent disability / early retirement

Leaves

Hi there
My husband recently had a severe bleed on his brain as a result of an arterio-venous malformation (AVM) rupturing. The rupture has been linked to stress, and there is a chance that it may reoccur although at the moment his recovery is excellent.

He is a civil servant with a local county council, and is aged 60 with 5 years to go to retirement.

As the stress cannot be removed from the workplace, and the risk of a reoccurrence is very real, our GP has indicated her own belief that he might qualify to be "boarded off" with on-going disability pay provided by the County Council. I cannot imagine that any employer, even the Public Sector, would pay someone who wasn't working if they had no intention of returning but, at the same time, if there is some entitlement, after 35 years of service, my husband would deserve it as much as anyone else. I just don't know if any such option exists and that would be my first question. Certainly I can imagine it would result in a significant reduction in income and it would help us to decide how to proceed if we had an idea of how much his income would drop.

I believe its more likely that she meant early retirement and/or long term illness benefits from Social Welfare. Would anyone have any information on either of these two options, namely:

1. Would my husband qualify
  2. how would we apply
  3. Any guesstimates on salary loss
My biggest fear is the impact that early retirement would have on his overall pension payment and how much it would reduce his pension benefits. If this is a realistic fear, can anyone tell me how much of an impact it would have on his final pension?

Thanks to anyone who can help

https://secretaryfinancialcontrolle...pendix-IV-Local-Gov-Superannuation-Scheme.pdf

"(a) Ill-health Ill-health added years apply where a person resigns on grounds of permanent infirmity. The actual award depends on your service and age. A person must have at least five years pensionable service to qualify for ill-health added years."

3. 20+ - Lesser of (a) or (b) (a) 6 2/3 years, or (b) service up to minimum retirement age."

There should be an ill health retirement (IHR) option of some kind as outlined in that link and on page 12 where it may be the case (depending on if your husband is eligible) that if he applied for the IHR and is successful, then he may be awarded added years which may bring him to full service and full pension entitlements - payable from the date he is given IHR.

Hi Leaves. Sorry to hear about your husband's health worries but glad he is recovering well. As he has 35 years service, it is important to know if he is paying class A or D stamp. Is his minimum retirement age 60 or 65? Broadly, what is the nature of his work, i.e. is he an 'officer' or a technical/manual worker?

Firstly thank you so much for your replies so far. He is on an A stamp and his retirement age is either 65 or 66?

Hi, did you ask your husband if there is an Ill Health Retirement option?

I am sure there is, if you confirm this then he must apply for this and send in supporting medical reports, he will then be awarded added years as set out above and his retirement benefits brought forward to the day of his Ill Health Retirement.

Back