Advice on honeymoon destinations - Jan 09

Peeete

Hi,

Getting married early Jan 09 and looking at booking a honeymoon now. A lot of material seems to be focused on summer weddings. Was thinking about Caribean. Any advice from anyone with ideas about the caribean (or any others?) would be useful! We are planning on about 10 days due to work :(

Any help appreciated!

we went to mexico. the weather was lovely most of the time. thing is it nearly took us a day to get to...... we stayed 9 nights and it was long enough because we went to one of those compounds basically where you eat in and everything. you'll need somewhere relaxing after the wedding. have never felt so tired. we went all inclusive also which was great for the cocktails by the pool all day!!! no wonder we were tired!

anyway then we went on to florida and it was scorching also.
if i had the time again i;d go to thailand!perfect time of year for there

That time of year suits better to the far east/india. Maldives/Seychelles maybe? Only problem is most places are going to take you about 11hrs min flight time, so you could end up losing 2 days just traveliing

Hi,

Getting married early Jan 09 and looking at booking a honeymoon now. A lot of material seems to be focused on summer weddings. Was thinking about Caribean. Any advice from anyone with ideas about the caribean (or any others?) would be useful! We are planning on about 10 days due to work :(

Any help appreciated!

Congrats, i got married this Jan and we went on a Cruise to the Caribean, to Key West and then up to Orlando.

The cruise was amazing and the food was great as well. Really enjoyed it. Key West was like heaven. We had a suite looking out over the Gulf of Mexico.

You could do a 7 or 8 night cruise and there is lots of time to relax etc cough cough on the ship and then enjoy the beaches etc during the day !!

i;d cash in on the southern hemis given your going for a winter wedding here, we got married in May last year and had a no. of southern H destinations in mind but we'd be going in their winter so settled on British Columbia, Canada, which was fab but our wish was for Argentina (we're going this oct instead) but irish summer weddings(which come with as much risk of rain than winter weddings) constrict you to more northern locations, if you've the time head as far as you can & i'd rate New Zealand as the best country i've ever visited! enjoy deciding it's the nicest part of the wedding planning process!!!!.

Don't know about fun in deciding! We were also thinking about Mexico, but Maldives/Seychelles could also be an option. Mexico or Caribean gives the option of short stop-off in US on way home. Its a pity about the travel times. We're also planing on taking in Australia, New Zealand later next year when we have more holidays at the same time. Trying to get as many opinions and options before digging into prices etc.

Congrats, getting married around then too.. .xmas.
Same prob too much choice. I like the sound of Key West though.
Can you anyone give recommendations for hotels there and what there is to do? Thanks

I stayed in the Author's Guesthouse when I was in Key West, absolutely loved it, each room is named after an American writer and styled in a completely different way. It's so chilled out in Key West and they have the celebration of the sunset every night with street performers etc. There is Duvall St where you can do the Duvall Crawl along the bars! Also great restaurants-lots of seafood. Lots of Hemingway buzz around the place as well. Key West would be a great place to honeymoon especially tied in with Miami for a bit of city action.

Congrats, getting married around then too.. .xmas.
Same prob too much choice. I like the sound of Key West though.
Can you anyone give recommendations for hotels there and what there is to do? Thanks

we stayed in the Ocean Key, amazing place and amazing view. Now cheap, but hey its your honeymoon.

Any other info about key west pop me a PM !!

We went to Antigua in Jan for our honeymoon and weather was fantastic. Not sure how you would feel going there now considering recent events there. Oh, and we also went for 10 days all inclusive which was perfect.

Cape Town would be lovely at that time of year. You might be too exhausted to make the most of a long haul trip just after the wedding. Why not in for a cheap and cheerful Canary's for this one, and keep your cash and energy for next year? You'll probably spend most of the first week sleeping anyway.

Why not in for a cheap and cheerful Canary's for this one, and keep your cash and energy for next year? You'll probably spend most of the first week sleeping anyway.

I'll never forget the first week of my honeymoon slept like a baby for most of it.

My advice would be the same as Complainers' go with cheap and cheerful.

Cuba offer good value and has 5 star resorts with plenty to do. Weather is perfect in the carribean in Jan/Feb

If you want the Maldives, you'll have to get your skates on. We're going in the second week of Jan 09 but we booked about 2 months ago and even at that time a lot of our first choice resorts were fully booked. December and January are their busiest months apparently. Good luck!

How about Asia? Thailand is lovely in January.

Personally I'm not a fan of isolated islands like the Maldives and the Seychelles. They are so expensive, to get there and while you're there. Everything is imported. One of my best friends was in the Maldives on honeymoon and paid €30 for a €10 bottle of sunscreen because they forgot to pack theirs!

I'll never forget the first week of my honeymoon slept like a baby for most of it.

My advice would be the same as Complainers' go with cheap and cheerful.

We were initially thinking of the cheap and cheerful and then doing something bigger later on but we changed our minds. The main reason was the association of a honeymoon with luxury, etc... I'd hate to look back in a few years and regret it...

What are peoples general opinion and experience with the all inclusive packages. Are they worth it or are you better with more freedom?

St Lucia is definitely a place I would recommend, Ladera is a fantastic boutique hotel and StoneField Villas nearby are also fab.

I live in Jamaica so I'm a bit biased on this one, Negril is where I'd recommend, somewhere on the cliffs (Catcha Falling Star, RockHouse, Tensing Pen) or beach it at Couples Swept Away.

Bahamas / Nassau, I would recommed Compass Point Hotel, but would suggest a few days on Harbour Island and Pink Sand Beach.

wat bout Dubai? nice weather dat time of year. we went for our HM had a ball. best of both worlds- class beaches but lively city, shopping etc. plenty to do-or not to do if u just wanna relax. our HM cost less than 1500 for 8 nites at 4* hotel wit flights. top service couldn't do enuf. plus i used to live der so wud really recommend.

Back