Laya Advice on Health Insurance Renewal

FourOfAKind

Hi Folks,

I am looking for some advice on health insurance Policies. Based in the west of Ireland.

My Parents (58) & (57) are both currently covered by Laya ConnectChoice, Just upgraded to that plan last year. I (30 - Male) am also on that Plan as part of my dads group membership. My brother (23) is on Advantage 250 explore.

quote for renewal: 1,170 for connect choice ( up from 1100 last year). 741.11 for Advantage (up from 677 last year).

Both parents are on tablets for High BP, dad also on tablets for Gout. I am in a similar case to dad, Tablets for BP, get the odd bout of gout.

Younger brother has no problems thankfully.

For myself and the folks i was looking at Total Health Complete 175 (€1074), this seems to be nearly identical too the current policy. Or Simply Connect (999), i cant see us losing much on this, bar some excess increases and a reduction in claim back for A&E.

Do these seem like good options, also how would changing policy effect the waiting period, we upgraded last year and were told any existing conditions were subject too a two year wait. Or is this a downgrade and would not have any effect?

Also is the younger brother on too high a package? would he be better looking at lower price higher excess for now?

Thanks in Advance

Hi FourofAKind,

Welcome to AAM. What plan were you on before ConnectChoice?

The 2 Laya plans you mention are well worth considering. My own relatives are on the same plan and considering the same options.
I am on Simply Connect myself at the moment, which ticks all the boxes, with a max hospital excess 150 x 2 per year. Once you're ok with the
300 max refund for day to day expenses, it is a very good option.

For your brother, aged 23, there are better priced plans available mainly with VHI and one with Laya as follows;
1. VHI One Plan 500; price 492pa, public and private hospital cover, 500 private excess.
2. VHI One Plan 250; price 576pa, public and private hospital cover, 250 private excess.
3. VHI One Plan 150; price 631pa, public, private and Beacon hospital cover, 150 private excess.
4. Laya Simply Connect; price 681pa, all public, private and hi-tech hospital cover included, 150 x 2 private excess, good day to day cover.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Hi snowyb,

Thanks for your reply. The plan my parents were on in 2013 was Health Manager Starter, they were quoted 1350 each for this in the renewal for 2014. I was on the Essential scheme which was quoted at 900 for 2014. So after reviewing this forum last year and i think based on advice you were giving others we each changed too the ConnectChoice corporate plan.

Thanks for the advice on the younger brother, we will probably get him on the Laya plan you suggest.

As for myself and the folks, what i am trying to weigh up is it worth paying the €96 more for connectChoice compared too Total Health Complete 175, what i am thinking more so about is if it is worth persevering with ConnectChoice for the two year waiting period for pre-existing conditions.

Or would it be worth switching too Simply Connect and saving the €170 per year.

Actually after comparing them i can only see a difference in the excess and in some cases the simply connect is better than ConnectChoice. so would it be considered an upgrade where a 2 year wait would apply if switching too this plan?

Regards
FourOfAKind

It would definitely be worth your while switching to Simply Connect and saving the 170 per year.
Your previous plan had really high, nightly excesses for private and hi-tech hospital cover so after the two year waiting is over you'll be on a normal footing. Full cover will apply at that stage with just the one off excess if admitted to a private hospital.

Regards, Snowyb

It would definitely be worth your while switching to Simply Connect and saving the 170 per year.
Your previous plan had really high, nightly excesses for private and hi-tech hospital cover so after the two year waiting is over you'll be on a normal footing. Full cover will apply at that stage with just the one off excess if admitted to a private hospital.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb

So would i be correct to assume that even thought the policy are essentially the same bar the excess we will start a new 2 year waiting period? Or does the one already served count?

Also i would assume Simply Connect will increase next renewal and there may be a cheaper identical plan to take up then, but is this just a vicious circle were once you change you are always subject too a two year wait to reap the benefits the package offers?

No, the one year you served will count so it's just one year to go.
Once you choose a similar plan in future, with full cover for private hospitals and hi-tech cover under all 3 headings with similar enough excesses, there is no more waiting involved. Laya are not strict when it comes to the one off excess amount changes. The new one off excess usually applies straight away, if there are minor differences to a previous plan.

There are no waiting times for day to day cover with Laya, regardless of age, even if you upgrade day to day cover.
Laya also allow a person to change plan during the year, if you want. This kind of total flexibility from Laya is a huge advantage, VHI are strict in
applying rules in this regard.

Once this coming year of waiting is over, it will be straight forward from 2017 onwards.

Regards, Snowyb

So its that time of year again.

Renewal Quote for Simply Connect is now €1,101.66, up from €999 last year. I still think this is the best cover for myself and the folks, Simplicity was the other plan i looked at and unless i am missing something obvious then there is not much difference between the two plans, Simplicity is priced at €1,087.28 so not saving much by switching to it and risking another waiting period.

The quote for the younger brother (23) is €781.00, this he feels is too high for him and he would like to get something with Laya for in or around the €550 mark. The reason it needs to be with Laya is he is sticking with being in on the the parents plan.

I cant really find anything comparable to Simplicity or Simply Connect for that money, the reason he went with it last year was the price (585) which was very good for the policy he was getting, now i don't think he needs as high a cover.

Any suggestions of a good plan in or around the 550 mark.

Also if I am missing a policy that is similar to Simply Connect and is say 100 euro cheaper then i would look at switching to this, but cant see one ATM

No real advice OP. We are in a similar position looking at plans. We are on simply connect....looking at that and simplicity. Did you look at company plan plus 1.3 for young adult? They have a new plan coming on 31st dec called pmi4316. I don't have much info on it but it seems to be identical to the company plan plus 1.3 but cheaper and more day to day.
We have gotten a good few hundred euros back on day to day.

I rang laya about the total health complete 175 and they told me the beacon wasn't included on it which is important for us :(

Back