Advice on getting Childrens books/poetry published

Cashstrapped

I've checked previous threads but they don't fully cover my specific query.

Had the pleasure of reading some poetry and short stories written by my teenage niece. I was amazed by the imagination and story lines used and really believe that they would make lovely childrens books. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where might be the best place to send samples of her poetry/ stories to for consideration for publishing ?

As another alternative can anyone recommend somewhere I might be able to send them to that would print them and make them into books (enough copies for family memebers) as I would love to do this as a Birthday present for her to encourage her to continue using her wonderful talent even just for us all to enjoy. Thanks.

As another alternative can anyone recommend somewhere I might be able to send them to that would print them and make them into books (enough copies for family memebers) as I would love to do this as a Birthday present for her to encourage her to continue using her wonderful talent even just for us all to enjoy.
If you just want to do a few once offs, then you could use Blurb or similar.

As another alternative can anyone recommend somewhere I might be able to send them to that would print them and make them into books (enough copies for family memebers) as I would love to do this as a Birthday present for her to encourage her to continue using her wonderful talent even just for us all to enjoy. Thanks.

www.authorhouse.com is a self-publishing company.
Quite a considerable expense for a present, but I have seen examples of their finished product and it is excellent.
They are hosting a "meet and greet" evening in the bookshop I work in later this month, if you want to find out more.

The O'Brien Press are a good starting point for finding publisher in this area. Best of luck with it!

Unfortunately very few Irish publishers publish children's books as the costs involved are high and the profits low. O'Brien Press, as mentioned above, publish the greatest number of children's books, but they are books written for children rather than by children. Veritas also publish a limited number of children's books each year.

You could contact . They are an organisation that aim to engage young people with books and are very helpful. www.publishingireland.com will give you a complete list of Irish publishers and information on the type of manuscripts and submissions they will accept.

If you decided to go down the self-publishing route (and it may be your only option) take a look at www.lulu.com or . Be very wary of any sel-publishing organisations that make grandiose claims about sales/marketing/distribution. Eoin Purcell has a good piece on this subject at http://eoinpurcell.wordpress.com/2006/05/04/self-publishing-and-ireland-part-one/

Finally, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Childrens-Writers-Artists-Yearbook-2008/dp/0713683708 is a good source of all info relating to children's publishing.

Thank you so much to all of you for the advice and links, plenty of useful information and very much appreciated.

Back