Advice on financing used car

OhPinchy

I've just been fortunate enough to get a good promotion that gives me a great package with €14,000 annual car allowance. I by no means have to spend all of it each year, and my plan is to by a used VW Passat for around €17,000 and maybe keep it for a few years (I need at least a presentable car for visits to partner sites).

I'm 26 and live with my girlfriend, have no dependents, and have a mortgage that we can comfortably afford given combined salaries. We're actually about to remortgage due to budget overrun of an extension build.

How to people in such situations normally finance their cars - bank loan, lease, loan from dealership? I'm naturally sceptical of leasing from a dealer and know little of leasing and if it applies only to new cars.

Without much knowledge of this area my guess is it would be most econmical for me to include the car amount in the remortgage, and then pay that portion of the mortgage off over a shorter term (do people normally go for 5 years?) but would really like to hear any advice you might have.

If you have all that to pay for. It makes no sence to get into such debt for a poxy car. If I were you I would get a skoda, better built than volkswagen. If you don't mind the badge. You get the same engine as volkswagen and audi. Just go for the elegance trim. The credit union is a good place to get a loan. Interest maybe a little high, but you can pay off a lump sum when you want with no penalties.

Back