Advice on Commercial Vehicle for Private Usage

Car Question

Hi -

Can somebody please offer advice on the following -

I use the family car for work. My husband, self employed in the construction sector, has a van. We have 3 children.
We are finding it increasingly difficult to manage school runs and activities etc, where my husband cannot use his van - as he can't take 3 children.
On this basis I want my husband to change his vehicle so that he can take the 3 children on the odd occasion. He is adamant that he needs the space of a van - a crew cab or jeep type vehicle is not sufficient.

So it appears that the only possible option is one of those crew cab vans. Even at that - I'm not sure if these would meet his approval - space wise, as we haven't gone to any garages to look around yet. However there are of course other possible issues with this very undeveloped plan(Usage would be probably 95% commercial and 5% private - if even)
  • Insurance - can we still get insurance, do we still get commercial or do we have to get private? Is there a significant extra expense here?
  • Tax - if there is any private usage - do we have to get private tax at an increased cost?
  • BIK - obviously issues here for private usage and apportionment on VAT claim.
My husband wants to get a 3rd vehicle - a run around - I am very much against this as that is maintenance, tax and insurance of another vehicle and I cannot see how this could be a better financial option - any comments?

Would also love to hear from anyone who is familiar with these crew cab vans - any advice on cost, pros cons, space etc - greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

No reason your husband can't avail of commercial rate tax on a pick up truck ( double cab ).

Commercial rate no longer available on Toyota landcruiser or Land rover discovery etc.

Thanks for the replies. I’m certainly not looking to do anything illegal or unsafe. Besides the expense there are practical considerations why a 3rd vehicle would be unsuitable - such as having to return to the house to get the vehicle to pick up from school/childcare possibly adding a half hour and upwards to each journey.

My husband rang an insurance broker today and there is specific insurance for this type of dual usage for commercial vehicles.

Thanks for the replies. I’m certainly not looking to do anything illegal or unsafe. Besides the expense there are practical considerations why a 3rd vehicle would be unsuitable - such as having to return to the house to get the vehicle to pick up from school/childcare possibly adding a half hour and upwards to each journey.

My husband rang an insurance broker today and there is specific insurance for this type of dual usage for commercial vehicles.

Can he not sell the van and buy a pick up truck?

Road tax is 333 per annum.

Buying a third vehicle is not ideal, cheapest part is buying the thing but between tax, NCT, insurance and maintenance. It adds up

Insurance should not be more than 500 euro assuming he has no claims bonus?

Hm...I wonder, with all the objections being thrown your way, is he doing his best to ensure that he can't do the school runs?

How many odd occasions would there be in a year? would a taxi service be as cost effective?

Is your husband self employed or has he a limited company. Has he any employees.
You only pay BIK if a Ltd company. You could do a small addback if a sole trader. I know a company director who got a traffic crewcab and he got a writting from revenue saying BIK was 5% of original market value per annum, was expecting it to be more the fact it was a crewcab.

You make a good point there thirsty re the objections! No it would be a few times a week - maybe 2 or 3 pickups. Defo not going the taxi route - we live in a rural area and my children are not all school going, all 3 are quite young.

Thanks Keant - he has a Ltd co - thanks for info. Renault traffic crew cab sounds right - I know these are supposed to be for transporting employees but if I’m covered from a tax/insurance perspective I can’t see why they can’t carry children! Thanks for your help.

Well two or three times a week isn't an odd occasion to me.

Time to have a chat about parental responsibility and perhaps be clear about what you want.

Back