Advice on buying cutlery

blackditch

I want to buy cutlery for special occasions, not everyday use and have a budget of approx 800euro for an eight place setting. Any advice on where to go for best range, quality etc. Anyone out there bought online? Been to Arnotts and had a look. Is there a John Lewis in Belfast and, if so would it be worth a visit?

Thanks for that Sloggi. I'll check it out. Was all around town yesterday looking at selection in Arnotts, Stock, Kitchen Compliments. Do you know have they a sale at the moment? Probable do, though.

they did have one about 3 weeks ago. might be still on. i bought 8 piece set, cant recall what brand, but was reduced from €240 to €120. not in the same league as what you are looking for but very sweet all the same - every day stuff. they have a kind of dedicated cutlery section in the homewares dept.

just a quick word - i spent a fortune on a set of newbridge cutlery from BT's - every one of the knives has rust spots on them - were not used for every day use and were well looked after - rust spots started to appear fairly quickly - not used in a dishwasher and not left wet. knives are so bad that the set cannot be used.

I have a set from Newbridge also, but I haven't had any trouble with them.
They do canteens of cutlery, but I bought mine a few at a time in the shop itself, I go through Newbridge regularly so I call into the shop to see if they have anything new and add some more to the cutlery.

just a quick word - i spent a fortune on a set of newbridge cutlery from BT's - every one of the knives has rust spots on them - were not used for every day use and were well looked after - rust spots started to appear fairly quickly - not used in a dishwasher and not left wet. knives are so bad that the set cannot be used.

did you contact BT's about this as I thought all newbridge silverware came with a fairly lengthy guarantee?

blackditch said:
I want to buy cutlery for special occasions, not everyday use and have a budget of approx 800euro for an eight place setting. Any advice on where to go for best range, quality etc. Anyone out there bought online? Been to Arnotts and had a look. Is there a John Lewis in Belfast and, if so would it be worth a visit?

800 euro for a cutlery set is obscene!

There is a decent cutlery shop (oneida perhaps??) in Junction One in Antrim. Nice stuff there for a small fraction of 800 euro. Google Junction One for details. Arnotts also do very good cutlery deals at this time of year.

Regarding the rusty Newbridge silverware, contact Newbridge directly.

I have never used it, but have heard that their policy on returns/exchanges is very positive. It does sound like you are doing all the right things, so I expect they will listen sympathetically.

You can get top quality WMF cutlery in 8 place setting packs for around €300. Much better quality than Newbridge.

thanks - i do intend contact Newbridge direct as I got no help from BTs - all my other newbridge items are grand, it just seems to be the knives.

Where can you get WMF cutlery for 300euro? I was told it was available in a shop near the Stock shop and across the road from Kitchen Compliments but when i found it last Sat the shop was closed. Seems it has closed down since April. My budget is 800euro but that doesn't mean i will necessarily spend that ammount. Front runner at the moment is a set in Arnotts for 520. I have looked at Newbridge but don't particularily like any of the designs.

Saw some WMF sets in Arnotts at the weekend - head down into the kitchen section past most of the cutlery, on the right hand side of the cash desk. V nice. Myself, bought an 8-setting set (connoisseur brand i think) for €65.

Back