Advice on building conversion

pingin

I’m interested in converting a very small, windowless, stone-walled barn into an art studio. As my budget is fairly modest, I’m wondering whether it would be worthwhile involving an architect or should I just go directly to builders for quotes?

Any thoughts?

Hi pingin,

You definitely need the input of a professional as planning, fire cert & DAC are required.
Builders could not provide an accurate quote without same - where are you based?

If your budget is modest. Ideally you' d do work yourself and only hire professionals when needed. For me that'd be electrics. Otherwise if structure sound. Just insulate rewire skim maybe stick window( second hand ) in for natural light.
I'm not a pro. But have done lots of renovation work. Great to have a friend family to maybe guide you.

If you''re looking for creative ways to use and divide the space, an architect's input would be beneficial. Otherwise, as suggested by Johhny, planning for change of use and the windows will be the first step.

Thank you all. I’m reasonably handy but don’t have the time or the energy to do it myself. Or maybe I’m just lazy!
I’m based in West Donegal. The structure is small (about 20’ x 15’), so I don’t know if the planners need to get involved.
It definitely needs a big window, electrics, heating and plumbing.
I think an architect’s advice would be very useful.
Thanks again.

The structure is small (about 20’ x 15’), so I don’t know if the planners need to get involved.

There are exemptions for agriculture structures, but changing the use as proposed and adding windows may require planning. A phone call to your local authority should clarify.

Back