VHI Advice Needed

My family’s current plan is with VHI Company plus 1 pacakage.
Myself and my wife are in our 30’s. We have a 2 year old with another due in the new year.
We are based in cork and what I am hoping to do is to get a basic package for myself but to keep a good plan for my wife and daughter.
I have looked at plans but it is very hard to see the wood from the trees with these plans. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Renewal date is 12 January

Hi 0028673,

Don't worry I'm not forgetting you, I know you're anxious to get sorted with a new baby on the way.

Wife Options;
The following 2 options are worth considering for your wife, details as follows;

1. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 1128pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 per admission,
day case excess 50 per day case procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included 50% refund for
gp visits, consultants, etc. - subject to a max refund of 1000 per year.

2. VHI PMI 07 10; price 1188pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 1 max per year for all
private hospital admissions(regardless of how many per year) day case excess 50 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.
Good day to day cover included 50% refund for gp visits, consultants etc. - subject to a max refund of 2000 per year.
[broken link removed]

Husband Options;
A basic cover plan(VHI One Plan Starter, price 504pa) would only cover public hospitals which would mean joining the lengthy waiting lists if you needed surgery, which defeats the whole point of having health insurance. For a couple of hundred extra per year, you can have both public and private hospital cover included.
This gives you the extra option of going to any private hospital if surgery/treatment is required.

The following options are worth considering, details as follows;
1. VHI One Plan 500; price 715pa; all public and private hospitals covered, private hospital excess 500 x 2 max for all admissions per year,
day case excess 150 per procedure.

2. VHI One Plan 250; price 832pa; all public and private hospitals covered, private hospital excess 250 x 2 max for all admissions per year,
day case excess 150 per procedure.

[broken link removed]

Child Options; 2 year old;

1. VHI One Plan Starter; price 103pa; all public hospitals covered.

2. VHI One Plan 150; price 184pa; all public and private hospitals covered, private hospital excess 150 x 2 max per year for all admissions and day case procedures.
[broken link removed]

NOTE; all childrens hospitals are public but the likes of Bons Secours Private hospital, Cork, have a childrens department that deals with infants
from age 28 days onwards, according to their website. Option 2, One Plan 150 will cover that hospital.
https://www.bonsecours.ie/cork-departments/childrens-ward

New baby Options
If the new baby is born after the 12th January 2019, you can add the baby onto, say your wifes policy for free, if added within 13 weeks of the birth. The baby will be covered until 11th January 2020.

If the new baby is born before 12th January 2019, strictly speaking the child would only be covered upto next renewal date ie 12 Jan 2019.
You have 13 weeks after the birth to add a new baby onto a policy for free until next renewal. But I imagine you would lose out on a full year
for free in that situation - I don't know how strict they are in that case.
Child Options 1 + 2 above will apply in that situation.

Best of luck in 2019, hope this helps with your decision making.

Regards, Snowyb

My health insurance is up for renewal in the next few weeks.

Currently on the VHI one plan 500 for myself. My wife has the VHI company plan level 1.3 along with our new born. Our 3 year old is on the VHI one plan 150.

We got great advice last year. Hoping for the same this time around ;)

With a renewal date in January 12th 2020, it is too early to recommend plans as there may be more price changes before then.
Any price changes for January 2020 will be available on the Health Insurance Authority website from December 2019, under the heading
'latest news'. The plans you are all on, are best priced at the moment, but that may or may not change by January.

I will update information in December.

Regards, Snowyb

Hi 0028673,

Laya have special offers for children from 1st Jan 2020. You pay for the 1st child and the rest of the children are free.
Details as follows;
1. Laya Essential Health 300; price 256 per child( so all children covered for 256) all public, private and Beacon hospital covered. Private hospital
excess capped at 300 x 2 max per year for all admissions. Day case excess 125 per procedure. Limited day to day cover.
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

Laya Adult Option - At least one adult has to be insured with Laya on any plan, so as to avail of the childrens offer. It would be best suited to your wife
to switch to Laya. You would be better off staying with VHI One Plan 500 for 2020.

1. Laya Inspire; price 1140(price 1st Jan) per adult; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 per admission, day case excess 50 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for gp, etc.
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MjYsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCwxMTkzLjQ2XSwibWluTWF4RXhjZXNzIjpbMCw2MDBdLCJwbGFuVHlwZSI6MSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZCI6WzEyODgsMTMzNl0sInBsYW5zIjp7ImRhdGEiOltdLCJsb2FkaW5nIjp0cnVlfSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZERhdGEiOltdLCJhcHBsaWNhdGlvbiI6eyJ0b2dnbGVfc2Nyb2xsTG9jayI6ZmFsc2UsInBsYW5fZGV0YWlsX2lkIjotMX19XQ==

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Back