Advice Needed - what would you do

B

brendan55200

I was managing director of a successfull company in the early 1980's

One day my main supplier phoned me to say that my company cheque had bounced. I could not believe it, by my calculations I had £35,000 in the company bank account. I phoned the bank and they told me that they had bounced the cheque because I was over my limit.

I spent 2 days and nights going over the figures, I asked the bank for the last 3 months cheques and an up todate statement.

I discovered that my signature had been forged on over £28,000 worth of cheques in the 3 month period. The forgeries were not very good.

I called into the bank and spoke to the manager and asked him what was he going to do. He told me I would have to take it up with the banks legal department and he refused to give me any more of the back cheques that had been cashed.

A friend of mine who worked in the Branch told me that there were 5 other similar cases in the branch.

I took on a firm of solicitors and instructed them. 4 weeks later they withdrew as they had been threatened by the bank. The same happened with the next firm of solicitors. I eventually located a firm of solicitors who would handle the case.

The solicitor told me I would need a handwriting expert. Every handwriting expert I contacted in Ireland refused to work with us. They said it was not worth it as they would never get any more work from the banks, their main source of income.

I went to England and took on the Birmingham Six handwriting expert Robert Radley, he has an International reputation. I gave him 40 previous samples of my signature, license, passport etc. He confirmed that the signatures on the cheques had been forged. I paid both the solicitor and John Radley major fees.

In the middle of what was going on the manager of the branch in question was sacked.

I started a legal action against the bank for monies owed plus damages. My business had closed down and I was now in serious debt.

I opened a new bank account in another of the main banks, it was closed down within 4 weeks, the legal departments of the main banks work together.

After a long period of time the bank agreed to settle the case and mentioned various sums, never in writing always on the phone. I agreed to settle the case.

I met the main legal person from the bank in my accountants office. He told me that by agreeing to the settlement that my sister who was an employee of the bank and my first cousin who also worked there would never be promoted. In other words the threat was if we pay they will never be promoted.

My father was a director of a semi state body. I explained the situation to him, he thought about it for a few days and came back to me and asked me to drop the case. I dropped the case. 10 days later I got a legal bill for £9,000 plus from the bank.

At this stage my father lost his cool and phoned the chief executive of the bank to complain. They withdrew the bill. My sister was not promoted for 15 years, in fact she was moved from department to department and branch to branch.

I still feel very sore about it all, should the banks be allowed to threaten people with legitimate claims. I wonder in how many more cases they have done this.

What would you do now?

under no circumstances can any employer involve other persons in your family.so if your sister has solid proof that this has happened i would instruct her to sue the company for mishandling her thus leading to the failure of climbing the ladder.if your sister had the qualifications etc and the expereience then climbing the ladder is the norm.

its absolutley an unbelievable story and do not settle until you get 100% of your money back

Thank you X-man,

My sister has worked in the bank for over 20 years. At the time of the threats she was working in Head Office. She has been moved around a number of branches and departments since. She has all her banking exams. I contacted IFSRA today and they are going to talk to me tommorrow. I will keep you posted. I wonder how many more cases were dropped because of threats. In my particular case the CEO of the bank was involved. He issued the instruction to drop the claim against me for the banks legal fees.

I'd say it is unlikely you can do much about most of went on due to the time that has lapsed as the relevant statute of limitations has probably run out.

As mentioned your sister might have a case if she is still being victimised as a result of this. Given that she has moved around presumably to other branches with no direct involvement and that top management has likely changed in the last 20 years that could be difficult to prove.

why was the bank manager sacked?????????! also you have the proof that your signature was forged and that you have sound evidence from professionals.push this matter further

Back