Advice needed re conflict of intetest re job appointment.

Lak

I would appreciate a little advice on conflict of interest please.
Is there a case that could be made against a public serving organisation which awards a position to its vice chairman for an external but connected job when the interview panel is made up of the Chairman and the treasurer. The resultant being said Chairman can not be removed from office now his time is drawing to a close as the vice chairman has been placed into a position whereby he can not now take over and said Chairman will now automatically be granted another three year term. There are other extenuating circumstances that I would rather not relate in open forum while not illegal are immoral.

Regards
Lak.

@Lak
Sometimes when trying to advise on these matters there is an element of incompleteness which can mean the advice is then of limited value.

There are 100s of 'public service' organisations and they have differenr rules. Some of the more 'modern' will be bound by legislation or seondary legislation or may be a commercial body. I have no idea which of what this is. But the recent departure to 'pursue other interests' by the CEO of the HSE is instructive.

If you are asking is there ANY process - well then there is judicial review. Will it be successful? Don't know.

But you are giving little awy.

If it was a job within the organisation - and the Vice Chairman was being 'interviewed' for the job by the other two - there may be grounds.

Essentially the diffiiculty is illustrated by top level appoinments in the Civil Service. If the 'inside' candidate wins - is it fixed? But we had three outside 'experts' on the panel ..but it happens that all the time that the sitting candidate gets the job and the banner of transparenecy is wrapped around it by the ability to point to outsiders on the panel.

In other words - you may have to do objective research on this. Vague moral issues - you need to put more flesh on this.

@ak I assume you were blowing off steam?
Posters like myself do require the oxygen of feedback so whats the update?

Lak

I echo WizardDr's point.

You mention a "public serving" organisation. Is it a state company or voluntary group?

Is your problem with the vice-chairman getting a job or is it that the Chairman remains in place automatically? I doubt if it's a public service body if that is the case.

In many organisations, the practice is for the vice-Chairman to take over as the next Chairman. Not sure if it's the rules or not. If you are a member, you can object to it and ask that an election takes place.

Thankyou Brendan and Wizard Doctor for your responses. Yes I was blowing off a little anger at the time, however it is something that needs to be persued I will PM you further details as a courtesy for taking the time to reply, just to elaborate a little on a subject I can not really talk of in open forum.

Back