Advice needed on sticky residue inside solid fuel stove

Maurice0

Hi All,
Advice would be much appreciated on a problem I'm having with our Hanley Apollo stove. In September I noticed a brown sticky residue inside solid fuel stove. I removed the plates from the stove and cleaned the sticky residue but the residue returns. The walls and roof inside the stove are also sticky. The Chimney flue has been cleaned and I had it checked with a camera to confirm there is no problem. There is a cowl installed so no rain is coming into the fireplace. The residue only seems to be in the stove.

IMG_7509.jpg
IMG_7501.jpg

What fuel are you burning?
The reason I ask is because my late mother had what seems like the same problem, and it was found to be caused by the timber she was burning being too fresh and it gave off a gluey residue during and after burning. Eventually the stuff would go on fire with the least amount of flame present in the stove but for the life of me I cannot remember how it was solved, if at all. Hopefully, it's the wrong answer i'm giving you and your problem will be an easier one to work out.

Burning green wood will do untold damage as it (tar) sticks to the chimney lining and if it goes on fire it burns very hot. Wood needs to be dry.

Hi, I have the exact same problem now with a stove installed this past summer. Did you ever get to the bottom of it OP?

Back