Health Insurance Advice needed on restarting Health insurance after 10 years

rkck15

Hi Guys, grateful for any advice. Myself and my wife both just turned 40. We previously had health insurance with VHI for roughly 12 years from the ages of 18 - 30.

We had to give it up around 2008 due to the crash and having to cut back. Now with 2 kids (10 and 4) it's probably time to get back on the health insurance ladder.

Obviously, I guess we will be penalised for having dropped our insurance but unfortunately it wasn't an option to keep it at the time and it's really only now we can afford to take it out again.

The options out there are a bit mind-boggling so appreciate any advice on plans that might be suitable or ones to avoid. I think we would look for plans that cover public and some private hospitals. Thanks!

Hi rkck15,

As you previously held health insurance for 12 years, you both will be given credit for those years which means that LCR loadings won't apply.
VHI are best suited to your needs at the moment and are most competitive on price for children, with half price offers.
The following plans are worth considering;

Adults Options
1. One Plan 500; price 715pa; all public and private hospitals covered, private hospital excess 500 x 2 max per year for all admissions,
private hospital day case 150 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital.

2. One Plan 250; price 832pa; all public and private hospitals covered, private hospital excess 250 x 2 max per year for all admissions,
private hospital day case 150 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital.

[broken link removed]

Child Options; half price offer upto and including 30th September 2018.
1. One + Plan; price 139 per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital excess 125 per admission or day case
procedure.

2. One Plan 250; price 119 per child; all public and private hospitals covered, private hospital excess 250 x 2 max per year for all admissions.

[broken link removed]

As an added bonus, at the moment, VHI are offering a cash refund of 50 euro for each adult if you sign up to 'My Vhi' account and tick the box to
receive all documentation online, on or before 1st October 2018. A further 50 cash refund is given if the policyholder pays through salary or
by direct debit. So, a cash refund of 150 is available to you with VHI. Its the perfect time to be joining, as this is a once off payment.
Further details in the following link;
https://www.vhi.ie/onlineadvantage

Note; you will have to join before 1st October as the half price childs offer applies upto 30th September.

As you are re-joining health insurance, you will be treated as a new customer. For any pre-existing illnesses you may already have, there will
be a 5 year wait before treatment will be covered. There is no waiting time applied to any new illness that may arise in the future, once you
are signed up. This is relevant to all family members.

Regards, Snowyb

Back