advice needed on buying 4x4

CARRIE.B

any advice appreciated
would like to buy a used 4x4 for max 18000e. would be driving about 50miles a day and would like something relatively fuel efficient.wouldn't be carrying a big load but often driving in fields. Would prefer a diesel.
thinking of a nissan quasqui, hyundai sante fe, a wrangler jeep, kia sportage commercial.
also like the swb landcruisers but they seem to be hard enough on fuel? also anyone any thoughts on the fiat sedici, i don't think you can get a diesel model though, but they seem cheap.

Hi, you will not go far wrong with the landcruiser, i have owned one for the last 20 years, change them every 3 or 4 years. i personally cant recommend them enough, bomb proof and good resale value always. Good luck

thanks johnjoda,
the landcruiser does seem to be the best to hold its value. how do you find them on fuel? just looking through ads and could probably get an '04 swb commercial for 17- 18,000e which is alright

sorry cant advise on fuel (diesel) as i had a gas conversion about 3 years ago, but from memory i recall, around 30mpg around town again not to serious for the kings of 4x4:D

Both the Pajero and Landcruiser are great cars. I had a Pajero SWB Pass for about 4 years up to 2 years ago and it never gave a bit of trouble. They really are bomb proof. Stick to the Japanese cars in this class if you can. I was only using mine mostly for short journeys and was getting about 25mpg. it was a 2.5TD.

If you want a cheap and reliable 4x4 why not try the Toyota Hilux twin cab pickup. The room inside is similar to the landcruiser, and you have the loadspace at the back as well. Great workhorse, truck body handy for throwing tools and stuff into when working on the land. If you buy the top box you can make your load secure when parking in urban areas.

Thanks for all the advice, will get the autotrader and have a look through it to get an idea of prices etc.., have 2 months before i need to buy, so have a bit of time.
just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the quasqiu/ sante fe/ wrangle jeep/ kia sportage or the fiat sedici, which i think its quite new on the market

Thanks for all the advice, will get the autotrader and have a look through it to get an idea of prices etc.., have 2 months before i need to buy, so have a bit of time.
just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the quasqiu/ sante fe/ wrangle jeep/ kia sportage or the fiat sedici, which i think its quite new on the market

The Landcruiser and Pajero are fine machines and excellent for off road work. However they would be relatively agricultural and heavy on fuel compared to the newer so-called soft roaders. They also have significant amounts of body roll in corners and are not as refined.

The Quasqai is really just a jumped up saloon car. Most used ones are two wheel drive. Best would be the 1.5 diesel which by all accounts is excellent on refinement and economy. I wouldn't be bringing it off road.

The Santa Fe is probably the best of both worlds with good road manners and reasonable economy for its size. It also has excellent load carrying capacity. Again many are 2wd and not really designed to go off road.

The Wrangler is fairly rare on Irish roads thanks to big thirsty engines which are old school i.e v rough.

The Sportage is like the Santa Fe except cheaper, smaller and rougher.

Cant comment on the Seidici except thats its smaller again and fairly rare also. Should be the best on fuel economy thanks to excellent Fiat diesel engines

i have a santa fe 2003(thinking of changing it now) love it and will change to same again just up the years. get the 4w/d with climate control. excellent on and off road- I am a scout leader.
couldn't recomend them enough.

thanks johnjoda,
the landcruiser does seem to be the best to hold its value. how do you find them on fuel? just looking through ads and could probably get an '04 swb commercial for 17- 18,000e which is alright
Did you buy the landcruiser? Just to let you know when you want to use the euro sign press Alt Gr key and keep it pressed then press number 4 key result is €.

Back