Advice Needed --- Car Beyond Economic Repair

mrc

Hi Guys, some advice needed.. (LONG STORY)

On The 21st of last month (August) someone reversed into my car which was parked up outside my house and drove off... I informed the Gardai who told me that they other party would probably be getting theirs fixed that same day.... To my amazement the other driver knocked at my front door that night and admitted what he had done.

He told me that he'd go through his insurance company to get the repairs done (Approverd Ford garage valued the repairs @ 1500

I called his insurance company and they told me that he had called them and accepted liabaility and they said I would get a rental from them until the car was fixed.... 3 days later I still had no rental soafter constant calls and fob offs from them, they eventually game me a rental car.

The insurance company had sent out a valuer to value the car. The rental car given to me was up on the Tuesday 4th August and when I rang his insurance company that day to enquire what was going on with regards my car repairs and the rental....... THey told me that they would not be giving me the rental for any longer and that my car wouldnt be fixed as THE OTHER PARTY HAD NOT REPORTED THE ACCIDENT !!!!!!!

The operator in his insurance company then had the cheek to say to me, that he hasn't have to report the accident if he didn't want to..... I was fuming, I told him I was the injured party in all this.

Rang the other driver personally and he told me that he had, he rang them agaion and he drove to the insurance company offices and filled in the paperwork for them right there and then.

Today got a letter in the door from them offering me 1300 for the car which I'll probably take.. The insurance compnay also said in the letter it is my respoinsibility to get rid of the car.

Since the 21st August until today, I have had the use of a rental car for apprtox. 4-5 days...

What you think I should do ???

If they are giving me a cheque for the car, surely it is up to them to dispose of the car ??
I am cotemplating seeking legal advice or complaining to Insurance Ombudsman......

Cheers
PS... Hope no one ever has to deal with this insurance company....

Back