Advice needed,builder has upped price by 85k

K

kildaregal

Hi all, can anyone help with this matter, in January this year (2006) I saw a company of builders offering houses for sale in Culdaff, Donegal, at a price of 180k. I contacted the builder and reserved a house putting a deposit of 1k down, he sent me a recepit for this money saying that i had reserved a house due to be ready late summer this year. For the last 3 months I have been calling and emailing the builder for an update on when the house would be ready but have received no replies to the emails and fobbed off on the phone. Today I was told that the house was ready but the purchase price was now 265k. When I argued my case the builder told me that back in January I should have instructed a solicitor to exchange contracts and that my deposit referred to the reservation of the plot only and not the price. I am devestated as now cannot afford this, I can prove i sent emails to the builder requesting information, and at no time was asked for solicitors details etc. Had I known this I would have done this however I was waiting for an advised completion date. Reckon the builder is trying it on big time, I do have a print off from his internet site with the price of 180k on it. Does anyone know where I stand from a legal point of view, before I seek professional legal advice. thanks

Without signed and exchanged contracts you, unfortunately, don't have a leg to stand on. I'd very rarely say this since i'm not a lawyer myself but i reckon any money spend on legal advice at this point would be money wasted.

85k is a disgrace! tell everyone you know what he did
ring up radio stations tell local newspapers, spread it about, as above you have no legal leg to stand on

85k is a a disgrace, but there are 8 cars outside the estate across the road from where im typing now, queing to put deposits on the last phase of that estate. They have been queing over a week now and the houses arent released until this weekend coming. They are being sold for about 100k more than the last phase, which was about 14-15 months ago.

The madness isnt over yet folks.

Hope they enjoy their 2 week holiday, 24hours in a car.
I'd have gone potty after a day or two. They must have started out that way!!!

85k is a a disgrace, but there are 8 cars outside the estate across the road from where im typing now, queing to put deposits on the last phase of that estate. They have been queing over a week now and the houses arent released until this weekend coming. They are being sold for about 100k more than the last phase, which was about 14-15 months ago.

The madness isnt over yet folks.

Hope they enjoy their 2 week holiday, 24hours in a car.
I'd have gone potty after a day or two. They must have started out that way!!!

They obviously don't keep their ear to the ground,read the papers etc. up there and i thought they were all cute hoors in them parts !.my bad
In the final shakeup them houses will return to the price they were 14-15 months ago so i wouldn't bother,if there's people stupid enough to pay them inflated prices let them.
Although i will say that builder is a right greedy Bast**d,you could always cause a bit of hassle at the launch for the craic just to serve him right.
How about a placard with "NO NUCLEAR PLANT IN CULDAFF"

same kinda thing happening in the south of ireland. I know of a house that jumped €10,000 in the space of two days.

if the price had gone down by 100k would you have still been prepared to pay the initial price agreed?? I doubt it! unless you exchange contract then the 1,000 you put down is just like an option of first refusal.

Kick up a stink and call your local radio station as suggested - however, I would suspect that the developer has a hard enough neck to stomach to the stick he gets in lieu of the additional monies he would receive - thats the way the market is at the moment i'm afraid

Back