Advice. Making a claim

tred

Hi all.
This is a very delicate question to ask, but i am asking it for many reasons. We had a close call at the weekend. My younger was involved in a car crash at the weekend. We think he hit a rock on the road, car either tumbled or span in the road. Hes being very luck but hes had to plastic surgery last night its more top of his head, and thankfully no damage to the brain.

He was driving on my mothers insurance policy. The question i am asking, can he if needed make a claim against this down the line. you might say why, and is this a money making scheme , its not. I am worried that down the line, if the scar is bad from the this accident, and he needs to have cosmetic surgery or more plastic surgery how will he fund it. He was taken to hospital by ambulance, but beucase we are out in the middle of rural ireland no Gaurds arrived. The car was being moved.

Can anyone advise what we should do next.

Short answer: No. He was the driver of the car regardless of who's name the policy was in. If he had been a passanger in the car then he would be entitled to claim.

Johno said:
Short answer: No. He was the driver of the car regardless of who's name the policy was in. If he had been a passanger in the car then he would be entitled to claim.

So if one was crippled for the rest of his life, your telling me that the car insurance is worth didilly squat to protect yourself.

yes. the only way you can get cover for the driver, is for him/her to have his/her own personal accident policy. mind you, some comprehensive motor policies might give some small token payment for medical expenses. however, this can be as low as €100.

payment is made under Third party part of the policy to the party that the driver injures. In theory, the innicent Third party sues the culpable driver and is awarded money against him. teh insurance company then indemnifies the driver and pays the money on his/her behalf. As you cannot sue yourself, the culpable driver cannot sue himself.

having said that, if you are of the opinion that he hit a rock on the road, how did the rock get there, whoever left it there or caused it to be there, may have a liability. However, you would need engineering advice/evidence, independent witnesses and legal advice.

Ravima said:
yes. the only way you can get cover for the driver, is for him/her to have his/her own personal accident policy. mind you, some comprehensive motor policies might give some small token payment for medical expenses. however, this can be as low as €100.

payment is made under Third party part of the policy to the party that the driver injures. In theory, the innicent Third party sues the culpable driver and is awarded money against him. teh insurance company then indemnifies the driver and pays the money on his/her behalf. As you cannot sue yourself, the culpable driver cannot sue himself.

having said that, if you are of the opinion that he hit a rock on the road, how did the rock get there, whoever left it there or caused it to be there, may have a liability. However, you would need engineering advice/evidence, independent witnesses and legal advice.

Thanks very much Ravima.

Back