Advice For Returning Biker

ATC110

Hello folks, I've had a full 'A' licence for over twenty years and used to commute in England by bike many years ago and want to get back in to biking.

To justify getting a bike, I'm thinking about becoming an ADI to generate some income from the bike especially now due to Compulsory Basic Training coming in to law. The problem I foresee is the off-road compound required - the standards set by the RSA are exacting to say the least. My first question is has any other ADI addressed this issue and if so how? Is there anyone who is also considering becoming an ADI?

The next question is about the bike. Regardless of becoming and ADI or not I'm going ot take some refresher lessons but I fancy a bike with some pizazz - like a BMW K1300R or Honda CBR 1100XX. These are fast bikes but I'm reluctant to get a smaller bike and then have to sell it again in the foreseeable future. Is it unwise and unrealistic to get this type of bike? If so can anyone advise on what type I should be looking for?

Thanks for any replies.

some good info on boards.ie
http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=577
and biker.ie
Don't know anything about ADI.
I would say it all depends on what you rode before & how long ago that was.
You can buy some lethal machines for very little money. A 600cc is alot more than it was 20 years ago.
When I was bike shopping, you would see plenty of Hyabusas, R1s and such like for sale traded in after less than 12 mths...

I'd recommend over biker.ie (unless you want to spend all day castigating those who drive cars as "cagers", and similarly mature behaviour :rolleyes:) and I'm a member on both.
If you've had lots of exp on a bike years ago and are intent on getting refresher lessons ( and potentially going for ADI status) then there's nothing out of the ordinary about getting either of those bikes. Please give us a go on that Beemer if you get it. I absolutely love 'em.
Good Luck.

Modern bikes are powerful.

My vfr 800 puts out 107 ponies, which is more than my wifes 1.6 car, and it will (allegedly) top 150 mph. Consider the weight difference between a car and a bike and you might get an idea of the power. The vfr is outclassed in top power by many of the newest sports 600's (r6 and the like). With the litre plus bikes you're getting towards 170-200 horsepower - the challenge is containing the power rather than unleashing it.
I don't know what type of bike you had in the past, but the modern big bore bikes are too much for many experienced bikers.

If you're iut for fun, a 650 v-twin will put smiles on your face for a long time.

I'd recommend irishbiker.ie over biker.ie (unless you want to spend all day castigating those who drive cars as "cagers", and similarly mature behaviour :rolleyes:) and I'm a member on both.
If you've had lots of exp on a bike years ago and are intent on getting refresher lessons ( and potentially going for ADI status) then there's nothing out of the ordinary about getting either of those bikes. Please give us a go on that Beemer if you get it. I absolutely love 'em.
Good Luck.

Thanks - I've already joined biker.ie and have experienced many mature contemplative replies; have a look...

Modern bikes are powerful.

My vfr 800 puts out 107 ponies, which is more than my wifes 1.6 car, and it will (allegedly) top 150 mph. Consider the weight difference between a car and a bike and you might get an idea of the power. The vfr is outclassed in top power by many of the newest sports 600's (r6 and the like). With the litre plus bikes you're getting towards 170-200 horsepower - the challenge is containing the power rather than unleashing it.
I don't know what type of bike you had in the past, but the modern big bore bikes are too much for many experienced bikers.

If you're iut for fun, a 650 v-twin will put smiles on your face for a long time.
Thanks. I had considered a VFR 800- would this be a realistic option? What examples of 650 V-twin had you in mind?

I used to commute about 50 miles a day on a Honda CB350. Incidentally, I'm 6' tall and 12.5 stone.

i've a 650 vstrom - plenty of power when needed, easy for commuting and traffic due to the torque and a good upright seating position (i'm 6'2)

Thanks - I've already joined biker.ie and have experienced many mature contemplative replies; have a look...

Thanks. I had considered a VFR 800- would this be a realistic option? What examples of 650 V-twin had you in mind?

I used to commute about 50 miles a day on a Honda CB350. Incidentally, I'm 6' tall and 12.5 stone.

The vfr is a great bike, seriously nippy, but very well mannered about town and comfortable to ride. I'd have no hesitation recommending one. I'm 6'1 and have no problems, although my bike does have handlebar risers which raise the bars about an inch to make the position a bit more upright for commuter type riding.

For the 650 twins I'd say the v-Strom, or its racier sister the SV (both built on the same engine block). I had a V-Strom and it was a great bike.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm almost sure I'll initially get a VFR800 and then perhaps a Blackbird later in the meantime getting some lessons to work towards a RoSPA qualification. Perhaps in time I'll reconsider becoming an ADI but I don't think offering CBT will be an option due to the compound requirement.

Regarding equipment, can anyone recommend what to get and where to get it from. I like the idea of leathers but am concerned about the rain-I know BMW do waterproof leathers with advanced protection but they are expensive. I'm interested in the neck brace they do also - does anyone else do one? Should I get new or secondhand? I'm based in the North East and within reach of Newry & Armagh etc.

Thanks again.

Hein Gericke in Newry or Belfast is a good spot for quality gear at a good price.

Thanks. Does that go for helmets too? Is their advice / customer service good? Could you estimate how much I should expect to spend in total?

no vat on helmets in the north - so there's a 21 % saving straight away.

Crossans just outside Newry have a good range - check out www.visorshop.co.uk for their range - lots of people on aforementioned biker.ie have had strange experiences with Hein Gericke, but crossans customer service is great .....

As for gear - i've always shopped in cotters out in ballymount - www.cottermc.com - you will always get some good stuff out there, even if you have to rummage for it yourself.

Personally I would go for leathers with rain gear in backpack or topbox. Surprisingly you will not see a huge amount of rain in Ireland .... unless you're on the bike all day ... for spins you will be less likely to head off if it's ****ing down.... I commute everyday rain or shine and have probably resorted to full wet gear a handful of times this year.

As for budget - give it at least 1000 euro.
Boots/Gloves/Pants/Jacket/Back Protector/Helmet/Rain Gear/High Vis - it all adds up but youre more likely to get a good deal if buying all together.

Thanks again. I'm having second thoughts on the VFR 800 having read some other reviews - I'm looking for a comfortable all-rounder ( country & primary roads , some urban and touring) with good pillion comfort too and the previously mentioned "pizazz".

With regard to the gear - visorshop seem to have a good range of everything. Has anyone got fully kitted out there?

Update:

Thanks for the replies - the ADI training will have to wait...a while!

I want to minimise my costs initially - does anyone know where to get good second hand gear from?

You could potter away with the Lidl gear. Does me but I'm not a serious biker. However I was talking to a guy on a big bike on a spin of a few hundred km's and he had a Lidl "lid" <the officially authorised word on Biker.ie>;), so they cant be too bad.

Would you consider the likes of the Transalp or Africa Twin? or Supermoto stuff? Spare a thought for those of us puttering (occasionally) on an XR250 awaiting a re-test date....

Yamaha FJR1300 - an excellent all rounder with a great reputation for reliability etc.

It's a sports tourer, and doesn't disappoint in terms of the 'sports' category when needed.

Luggage is easy on/off for touring or around town. Riding position is excellent and pilion comfort is quite good.

It's a great bike, and as for gear, there's no substitute for quality when getting motorbike gear.... especially helmets.

PCOCP.

You could potter away with the Lidl gear. Does me but I'm not a serious biker. However I was talking to a guy on a big bike on a spin of a few hundred km's and he had a Lidl "lid" <the officially authorised word on Biker.ie>;), so they cant be too bad.

Would you consider the likes of the Transalp or Africa Twin? or Supermoto stuff? Spare a thought for those of us puttering (occasionally) on an XR250 awaiting a re-test date....

Thanks Betsy. Do you know when the Lidl gear normally comes out?

The bikes you mention are all dual-sport -is there a particular reason for suggesting these rather than the VFR 800 or Bandit et al?

The Honda XR250 was a dream bike to me as a teenager so no need to 'spare a thought'...

Yamaha FJR1300 - an excellent all rounder with a great reputation for reliability etc.

It's a sports tourer, and doesn't disappoint in terms of the 'sports' category when needed.

Luggage is easy on/off for touring or around town. Riding position is excellent and pilion comfort is quite good.

It's a great bike, and as for gear, there's no substitute for quality when getting motorbike gear.... especially helmets.

PCOCP.

Thanks but too big initially,me thinketh, after such a long absence.

The bikes you mention are all dual-sport -is there a particular reason for suggesting these rather than the VFR 800 or Bandit et al?

Just personal preference (from the look mainly) but have had a lesson on a 650 Transalp (only bike other than my own I've been on) and its a good riding position for somebody tall, grand smooth delivery, not too agressive. Dont even know what a VFR 800 is/looks like...

If I got the test I'd be back on dirt for the next 20 years (till the yung 'uns have grown up ..... then maybe 'born again').

As for when Lidl gear comes out "its like the changing of the seasons or the tides of the sea" to quote the Fools and Horses song. All I know is that it tends to be out twice a year, maybe October and April, but sign up with Lidl and they'll send you notice a week in advance of their offers.

I wouldn't be buying helmets in lidl if I was you. As for the rest of the gear there, ok, just about.

ATC110,

Keep in mind that there has been a massive increase in the number of diesel powered vehicles ( and thus diesel spills ) on the road in the last few years.

Be lucky, Stay lucky.

Olddog ( ex long time biker )

Back