Advice for couple in their 50s with disposable income

Personally I would buy a holiday home by the sea and enjoy it every weekend and holiday I could from then on, you could afford the purchase and upkeep. But that would be my lifestyle vision, not yours.

I would endorse the €3K per year to each child from each parent as a way of feeding them some inheritance in the years that they need it, house, car, holiday etc. The main thing is it is a gift, you should not dictate how they spend it. If you think they are not prudent then don’t gift them. And you can do the same for grandkids when they come along.

I think you should shift your mindset to spending for now rather than saving for your children’s inheritance. Hopefully you have another 30-40 years and you kids will be well into their adulthood by the time you go on your merry way, and won’t need the inheritance then. What you spend it on is up to you and your spouse.

It is also worth getting an independent financial advisor look at you income potential into retirement. With 4 different schemes some may fail, may transfer to DC schemes, be underfunded etc. Your current scheme sounds like a significant financial negative on your companies accounts each year if they have promised to fund health insurance and nursing home care until death. Maybe it is just for a few executives but those terms and conditions could easily be removed in the next 40 years. The cost of nursing homes is €1-2K per week currently, what will it be in 40 years. Read the small print, it might be 2 weeks nursing home stay after an operation etc.

You can always do AVC’s to max out your pension contributions, but beware the max fund threshold of €2M and tax implications if you go over in all your pensions combined.

Banks may not be the best for investment advice, there are other independent financial wealth advisors who are not tied to certain products. Like @Steven Barrett who just posted.

As I mentioned, I don’ get a lump sum in retirement but I get a percentage of my salary depending on length of service. I also retain full medical insurance as long as I am in receipt of a pension from my current employer. The plan’s benefits mean that I will never have to worry about medical expenses or nursing home costs in retirement.
Hello,

Just how reliable are these arrangements - and please, try to my objective here?

Is the pension fund ring fenced, and in no way at risk, if something were to happen to your employer, tomorrow?

Is the medical insurance provided by a completely independent third party? Are the ongoing premia for this medical insurance paid monthly, or yearly, and directly from your employer?

It sounds like you are lucky enough to have an extremely good benefits package, hence the questions.

I'd agree with the suggestions above about taking out a Secton 72 policy, utilising the annual children's gift allowance, and exploring the possibility of buying extra years on your wife's pension. The sooner the two of you can have the true financial choice to retire, the greater flexibly you will really have.

I've mixed views on getting involved in residential properties, particularly if your aren't prepared to take a hands on approach, to managing and maintaining the property, yourself. However, that said, setting the kids up in a house (not an apartment), initially while they go to college, and having them utilise the rent a room allowance to help pay for the property, is definitely worth looking at.

Also, don't be too strict on yourselves, go and enjoy some of your hard earned income.

Well done on your achievements to date, it sounds like you are doing a lot better than most...

Back