advice for complaint against Aviva

Money is in Aviva accounts since 5th Sept, bank said no money sitting we have the figures but not transfer details, Aviva are dragging their heels there, won't give us details as every time we ring customer service they have to get on to finance accounts team who are no help and never ring back. Again today waiting an hour to get told the accounts team are on lunch and will ring us back.....

Stop ringing and start writing.

Use the words 'formal complaint'; detail your dates / actions / facts.

In your last paragraph say you want their final response in 21 days and that you will go to the Ombudsman.

Send a copy of this letter a week later, with a cover note.

And again a week after that.

Then when the 21 days is up, and if you still dont have what you need, make your complaint to the ombudsman.

I'm concerned about broker behaviour "claiming to have letters from Aviva". It's unlikely Aviva have engaged in fraud (mistakes certainly) but I would have concerns about the broker. Have you concrete 3rd party proof that Aviva have paid your wife (not broker assurances)

You're not the first client to discover the broker has done something nasty with their money...

I'm concerned about broker behaviour "claiming to have letters from Aviva". It's unlikely Aviva have engaged in fraud (mistakes certainly) but I would have concerns about the broker. Have you concrete 3rd party proof that Aviva have paid your wife (not broker assurances)

You're not the first client to discover the broker has done something nasty with their money...
Never rule anything out but if the broker in this case has really pocketed or diverted the OP's wife's money, this would qualify as literally the stupidest broker fraud ever. Even the most blatant broker frauds are more elaborate than this.

Never rule anything out but if the broker in this case has really pocketed or diverted the OP's wife's money, this would qualify as literally the stupidest broker fraud ever. Even the most blatant broker frauds are more elaborate than this.
Agreed but it's a garbled story. If Aviva have paid, and the OP doesn't have the money, then the broker is at fault. When I see reassurances from a broker I get concerned.

I can access my investments easily myself, bypassing my broker, so I'm confused why this isn't the case here

Agreed but it's a garbled story. If Aviva have paid, and the OP doesn't have the money, then the broker is at fault. When I see reassurances from a broker I get concerned.

I can access my investments easily myself, bypassing my broker, so I'm confused why this isn't the case here
There is no indication whatsoever that the broker has stolen the money. If there were, Aviva would by now have called the Gardai.

Money is in Aviva accounts since 5th Sept, bank said no money sitting we have the figures but not transfer details,
Banks are required to store details of all transactions for many years so they can't say, "we don't have the details". I'd also go back to them and raise a formal complaint if they can't or won't supply the details

Aviva can very easily determine what account the payment was made to.

Also, they would not make a payment to a 3rd party. They will only make it to an account in your wife's name.

If there was an error in the IBAN when inputted on the system, then that's a problem for Aviva. Just hope for their sake that the IBAN did not belong to a valid account and would just be automatically returned.

When the claim was submitted, was a bank statement provided or was the IBAN noted in the claim form. If the latter, was the IBAN correct. If not, the it's not Aviva's fault.

Last edited:
Totally!

My point exactly earlier, which wasn't exactly welcomed.... :(
How could it be the broker's fault if, as appears eminently possible, someone in Aviva made a hames of it and either mandated the payment to an incorrect account or directed it to one of their suspense accounts?

(Many brokers these days no longer even accept or handle client money, so it's equally possible that Aviva couldn't have paid this money to the broker even if they'd wanted to.)

OP....what stage is the claim at?

I assume transfer is from Occupational Pension Scheme into a Buy Out Bond.

Sequence is as follows

1) Buy Out Bond proposal submitted to Aviva. This would need to be fully completed and signed off by scheme trustees.
2) Transfer value from scheme sent to Aviva
3) New policy put into force by Aviva
4) Claim documents sent to Aviva
5) Claim processed by Aviva
6) lump sum payment issued
7) ARF set up by Aviva....on basis ARF proposal form submitted

Back