Advice for a first second-hand car

HouseBuyer10

Hi everyone,

I have passed my driving theory test and I will soon start my driving lessons.
I am looking to buy my first car, but I don't really know where to start.

Since this is only my first car and I will mainly use it for shopping (I don't drive to work) and (weekend) trips in Ireland, I'm looking for something which won't cost me a lot.

I'm looking for advice regarding what make and where to look for a good car in Dublin.
My budget is low (€5,000), but I am looking for something decent that won't cost me much to maintain either.

Do you think I have any chance to find something like that?
I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks a lot!

Look on carzone.ie. I'd suggest something like a Honda Fit or a Toyota Yaris. Very reliable and not overly expensive.

Or maybe you should look into Gocar if your use is that limited.

carzone is old hat and a very clumsy website , donedeal is where its at today

of course you can get a good reliable car for 5 k OP

600 for a new driver? If the OP is only starting lessons I'd imagine it's safe to assume they don't have a no claims bonus. My insurance last year was 530, an old car I admit, but full no claims bonus.

I'd say check insurance quotes first before shopping for the car, my niece couldn't get it for anything less than 1,700 on a new full licence.

Your insurance premium will be a lot higher, a multiple of what you expect and may affect your budget, get some quotes, do not buy a car first and then look for insurance, it really does not work out that well, you have many good choices with your budget, keep adverts.ie in mind, especially a seller that has strong feedback from previous buyers.

And definitely do take someone with you when looking at the car. Preferably someone who knows about cars, and is impartial. Listen to their advice if they tell you to walk away!

600 for a new driver? If the OP is only starting lessons I'd imagine it's safe to assume they don't have a no claims bonus. My insurance last year was 530, an old car I admit, but full no claims bonus.

I'd say check insurance quotes first before shopping for the car, my niece couldn't get it for anything less than 1,700 on a new full licence.

my mistake , overlooked the part of a new driver

I'd suggest plowing your money into lessons and try and pass your test as quickly as possible.

Honda Jazz & Toyota Yaris are great first cars and should easily be picked up for €5k. At that budget, I would be less inclined to buy from a dealer (unless a main dealer) as it will offer you no real security - the only advice I can give you is to try and buy a car that is being sold by someone who has had it from new/nearly new and that it has a full service history. I have used this rule of thumb for a lot of friends and it has never let me down.

Back