Advice Cycle to work/Leisure Bike - 3 Specs Opinions

IrishGunner

Looking at getting a bike on the cycle to work scheme.

Only going to use it for leisure bike rides maybe about 10miles a day

Got 3 quotes

Bike Hub Howth

Bike €599 Gian Rapid 4
Lock €45
M/Guards €24
Lights €25
Helmet €40
Misc €20

Total €753 less 10% discount so total €678

Little Sport

Trek €399 7.0
€465 7.1
Mudguard €25
Helmet €49
Lock €49 - €39
Lights €20 - €35
Carrier €35
Bottle & Cage €15

Total €592 -€673(including discount)

Cycleways Parnell Street

12 Sirrus XL €489
Tort Rec Tour Spring B1 €27
Spe Hel Align sil €30.02
Tre Loc u Lock BS300/10 €25.99
Cateye HL270/Ld120 set €20
Tort Bottle Cage Silver €0
Tac Bot 500ml Spin11 €0
Zefal Multisport Pump €6

Total €600

For what I am going to use if for what would be the best, Want a light bike thats not to hard on going up hills but don't want to spend mad money

Tested all 3 and they all seem ok but just looking for users opinions anything I should add/ remove or any other shops I should Try?

Thanks

Do any of them have disc brakes? These make a big difference in wet weather. I wouldn't get too obsessed over specs. Take each bike out, and take it up the nearest big hill. See which one is smoothest and easiest in terms of changing gears and braking. If you're going to be commuting, a carrier and panniers are essential. Try out the panniers on the bike, to make sure they don't rub against the back of your foot.

If you plan on getting a biking jacket or helmet, you can build that into the package too and get the tax relief.

Thanks

none of them have disc breaks would they be an extra cost and are they worth it?. Only one I tried on real hill was in Howth and it was good enough

Will have a look at the panniers. Did not think of them

Try to separate the actual bike from the bits and pieces. You can buy the ones which suit you best afterwards.

I would think that €45 for a lock means that the lock is not very good. You want a good U Lock which should be around €80.

I have a Giant Rapid for long distances but the carrier is very small. I doubt if it would take a pannier. Agree fully with Complainer's suggestions. Don't assume you can use a backpack. Not a good idea on a bicycle as it makes you unstable.

I have a Kelly's for around the city which has a much better cycling position - pretty much upright - but probably wouldn't be adequate for a 10 mile cycle daily.

Get any quickrelease wheels, replaced by ordinary nuts.

Brendan

Thanks

So you suggest a bike with a carrier that can take a panniers also disc breaks for rain & front wheel ensure its nuts & not quick release?

May go back to shops with these options?

10 miles a day maybe an exaggeration but its my aim :)

This will probably confuse you more, but I disagree with Brendan about the quick release wheels. If you do any maintenance yourself, even just changing a punctured tube, they are a god send. If the bike will be regularly parked in public locations, then the quick releases might make your wheels a bit vulnerable. If it will be mostly parked in secure locations at work or at home, they will be handy.

Looking at getting a bike on the cycle to work scheme.

Only going to use it for leisure bike rides maybe about 10miles a day

Am I missing something? What about using it to cycle to work...as per the scheme you're getting it under. If you are only using it for leisure you are not entitled to avail of the scheme.

Using it for work but also at weekend for leisure cycle

Got 2 more quotes

€533.30 from The cycle superstore in tallaght the make of the bike is Escape 3 and also includes single Pannier and allen key skewer

€648(-10% disc) for a Trek 7.2 and pannier at €50 from wheelworx in Lucan

Think I will go for the nut based wheel as will have it locked at times in public places. Also lock is a U bar with lead.

Only problem is that I am from De Northside and any issues with the bike don't want to trek it all the way over?

Don't go for anything quick-release - I had my saddle and a wheel taken in Dublin city centre. Luckily I was able to get to Cycleways in Parnell St where they kitted me out with replacements, this time permanently fixed! Also, don't forget good raingear - necessary in this country especially in summer!

Don't forget a good pair of cycling shorts. You can go mad on extra gear. My cycle is 9 km each way. I use a racer and have a back pack. I put a high visibility cover over this. I would try to get the rain gear under the scheme. You can get covers to go over your shoes as well. Keep on eye out in aldi and lidl. They do cycling gear on a regular basis.

Going for the [broken link removed]

Getting it from Bike Hub in Howth and not going to get panniers or quick release may get some rain gear added, although will keep an eye on Lidl & co.

More expensive to get the disc breaks

Also has skinner wheels and much lighter lets hope little punctures

Just re the cycling with a backpack comments, it's just a matter of getting used to it, and the centre of gravity being a little higher than it would be without. I regularly do it, including long days spent mountain biking.

If carrying a heavy pack, just ensure the straps are tight (ideally use a pack with a chest strap too) so that it doesn't move around as you corner, etc..

Only problem is that I am from De Northside

That's not a problem - it's a virtue ;) !

If you're still considering options, I've bought from Duffs (Donaghmede SC, OMNI SC Santry) a number of times, including one under the cycle to work scheme.

Also, re: quick release wheel, when locking the bike to a post, just make sure to lock the wheel to the frame as well. Usually deters most amateur thieves

That's not a problem - it's a virtue ;) !

If you're still considering options, I've bought from Duffs (Donaghmede SC, OMNI SC Santry) a number of times, including one under the cycle to work scheme.

Yep its an Honour to be from De Northside :)

Yeah tried Duffs in Omni and Donaghmede but had older models of bikes but still helpful. Added on the wet gear and its added a bit but you do save in the longterm

Just as a note. Most shops give 10% discount on the accessories but don't show this on the invoice you get this as a gift voucher when you collect the bike.

Going for the [broken link removed]

Getting it from Bike Hub in Howth and not going to get panniers or quick release may get some rain gear added, although will keep an eye on Lidl & co.

More expensive to get the disc breaks

Also has skinner wheels and much lighter lets hope little punctures

That's a fine looking bike, good luck with it. I bought my Trek a year ago and have just paid it off under CTWS. With the benefit of hindsight I wish I had bought a better bike as the tax break is great and less of the perpherals which are all cheap in Lidl/Aldi anyway. If you take to the cycling, you will want a better bike in due couse. Best of luck.

Back